It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

GAH58 HB User
Can't Sleep Naturally

Hi,

I am going through another problem with sleep and prescription drugs. I have tried to kick zopiclone and amitryptilyn but was unable to sleep properly when I weaned myself off. I tried 5HTP and Gaba, but got to the point where I was so tired from lack of sleep that I could not function, so I went back on the zopiclone and amitryptily. They worked fine for awhile and now I am finding that I need to take more of each to sleep for more than a few hours. I live in Canada where you cannot get things like Kava or tryptophane (I have heard that these work but are only available in the US. I would like to quit the prescriptions and go natural but I can't seem to make it work. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User
Re: Can't Sleep Naturally

I have used Calms Forte by Hylands in the past for sleep problems. My naturopathic doc at the time recommended them. I needed to take 4 of the tiny pills at one time but had good results with them. They are homeopathic so you may need to take them for a while to see a difference. Try not to give up on them if you don't get results right away. I have ordered them online and you can buy them at health food stores here in the US. You might want to try melatonin as well.

From my experience these things done consistently contribute to setting yourself up for success. A warm bath or shower, eliminate caffeine, don't do anything stimulating an hour prior to bedtime, keep bedroom darkened, and go to bed the same time every night (even if you still aren't sleeping well). Creating a relaxing routine consistently will work in your favor....eventually. I know what it's like to be sleep deprived so I can sympathize with your situation. Sleep deprivation causes so many other problems so I hope you can get a handle on better sleep soon. Let us know how you are doing. Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User

Dear GAH58,

I have had a sleeping disorder for a long long time. The culmination of it being 17 days of no sleep at all. Sleep deprivation can do wicked things to your mind, as you know. I was hospitalized and the only thing that worked for me was taking 4 30mg of Dalmane and an antidepressant that causes sleepiness. When I got home, I took the high doses just a week or two then weaned myself down to 1 sleeping pill before I was addicted to all 4. The Dr. kept me on it for many many years.. I had no idea what a benzo was and when I wanted to try to sleep on my own, I tried to get off the Dalmane. Big mistake..

Anyway, whenever you first get off of sleeping meds, there is usually a rebound effect for awhile, as your body is trying to get used to doing it itself, which takes awhile. I couldnt take the sleeplessness and am now taking Trazadone to sleep. It is an antidepressant, and not addicting, but I will never try to get off of it. I want my sleep more. Have you tried any of the antidepressants that cause sleep?

I am thinking that if you can have some time off work, then maybe you could try some of the methods suggested above. But I do know, that if you have the pressure of HAVING to get up for work, it is hard to sleep because you know you have to be up early. You need time to pamper yourself, and sleep whenever you get the chance. Every bit of sleep you do on your own is training your mind to do what comes naturally. Then you will have confidence when you go only at bedtime. Hope this helps.

Whatever you do, I am rooting for you... I've been there

Old 03-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
(female)

GAH58 HB User

Thanks to everyone who gave answers to my sleep problems. I am taking 25mg of amitryptiline (which is an anitdepressant) and 7.5 mg of zopicolone (which is a sleeping pill). I tried adding another half tablet of zopiclone at bedtime and was able to sleep - but the pharmacist said that zopiclone loses its power when you take it for a long time and it is not advisable to take more than 7.5mg. I have been on zopiclone on and off for a couple of years (except when I tried to wean myself off and found I could not sleep with natural remedies). I am going to my dr on Monday to see what she says - but I am sure she will prescrible a higher dose of amitryptiline..... I would very much like to not take any prescription drugs - but it is expensive to buy natural remedies and most of them have not worked for me.... I will, however, try the Hylands Calms Forte and their Insomnia remedy... I have done all the things you are supposed to do to cause better sleep - dark room, calm activity prior to sleep, no caffeine.... but I still find that I have a real problem with sleeping naturally. It is so frustrating to have this problem - my doctor said that all women of my age (59) pretty much have to use sleep aids. I would love to be able to afford going to a naturopath to get relief - but I am on disability due to a back injury and it is impossible at this time.
Anyhow, thanks for any current or future thoughts on this.....

Old 03-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User

Hi GAH58...I'm back again. I've previouly used amitryptiline which wasn't successful for sleep for me. I used Trazodone with great success. It's also an antidepressant that's primarily used for sleep because it really makes you go to sleep. You will experience a 'hangover' effect in the morning. It passes but you'll want the lowest effective dose for yourself...especially if you are going to work in the morning. I hope you and your doctor find a better solution for sleep. Best wishes.

Closed Thread