It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Chinese/Alternative Medicine for Fibro/CFS

Hi,

I have fibro/CFS and Addison's Disease. I am fighting such terrible fatigue and am just trying to find anything to help. Also I had rotator cuff surgery May 14 of this year and am not doing well w/ PT and ROM having lots of pain and thought accupuncture may help. Just wondering if anyone has tried any of these things and had any kind of result, good or bad?

Or if you have other suggestions I'm open to them as well. Right now I take cortisol for the Addison's (low dose) and well the fibro and CFS I take tons of vitamins and B12 injections for them along w/ pain meds which also helps w/ the shoulder pain.

Thanks, CJ

Last edited by Administrator; 07-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Chinese/Alternative Medicine for Fibro/CFS

I would give it a try. The key is finding a good practioner. I have used three different acupuncturists and they were all trained in Chinese medicine. You do not want to go to a clinic where they want you to sign up for a series of treatments at the beginning...or tell you it will take ten sessions, etc. The acupuncturist should talk to you before each session and adjust the treatment accordingly.

I went to an acupuncturist that specialized in orthopedic issues and he helped me a lot with my back problems. Someone like that could help with your rotator cuff issues, I would think. The problem is that it is ongoing treatment and often not covered by insurance. I went once a week for years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Teter thanks so much for your response. I will remember that. Hadn't thought of it. What I was wondering I am currently on other meds from a Pain Mgt dr. I shouldn't have a problem with that will I? cj

Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Sorry, I forgot to look back on this board. I usually post over on the back board!

If they want to give you "Chinese" medicine or herbs, I would not take it unless it is okay'd by the PM doctor. And be sure to tell the acupuncturist what medications you are on. They are usually very careful about having the patient fill out a very detailed health history, list of all medications including OTC and supplements, vitamins, etc.

The first lady I went to was just opening her own business and she still worked for another Chinese acupuncturist who had the "well-known" clinic near where I live. She would tell me how she treated her patients there vs. how she was going to run her own place. He would diagnose a patient at the first intake appointment, and then the series of treatments would all be identical, regardless of what the patient said was her response to the treatments. My friend (as she was to become) felt that treatment should be evaluated after every appointment and small adjustments should be made. If I had reported more pain in a particular area, she might focus more on that area for this particular session and it would change slightly every time. She advised me to never sign up with someone who wanted a payment up front from a series of treatments. With her, I sometimes signed up for multiple sessions at one time, because she gave a little price break...this is not what I'm talking about. This is like signing up for six massages because it is a little cheaper. What I'm telling you to avoid is when you are told you must pay for six appointments now before you even know if you want to return to the acupuncturist.

I will warn you that although it may feel wonderful at the time and you should feel peaceful afterward, you probably won't notice any big changes for quite sometime. I did it more for "maintenance" than for any resolving of issues or "cure" to my problems. Hope that makes sense.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Teter that totally makes sense to me. Diagnose then adjust treatment as you go. I do have an appt on the 23 to get some accupuncture but its just w/ a dr. that I have seen before and I know he'll work around billing my insurance company so it won't cost me. I'm going to see how it goes and if it helps then I'm going to check out this other one I have near me that does the herbal stuff as well. thanks.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's a good idea. My friend also told me that the acupuncture that is taught to physicians is a considerably shortened course. They only use a small part of what is available to a fully-trained acupuncturist who also knows Chinese medicine.

Reply Reply