It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

kimmiemay HB User
Supplements/vitamins for depression/anxiety

Hi, in November of last year I went to my doctor because I was workin full time, attending school full time, and obsessed with my 3 year old. He was all I ever thought about since the day he was born and so having joint custody with his father was a nightmare. I would literally get physically sick worrying whenever he would go to his dad's for the weekend. And not because he has a bad father, I just worried non stop about this little boy. Anyways, my doctor prescribed me Paxil. Biggest mistake of my life. I took it and after 1 week I started feeling nauseous. Around the end of the 2nd week I was nauseous 24/7 and decide to stop taking the Paxil cold turkey. Well, I ended up having to be rushed to the ER due to having a major panic/anxiety attack. I continued to have these awful panic attacks and derealization for months. Since then I have not been the person I have been my entire life.
I feel so flatlined, disconnected from everything and everyone in my life. I don't get excited about anything and I cannot focus. On the other hand, it always feels like my heart is racing and I'm worried I'm going to freak out. I just read the mood cure by Julia Ross and have identified myself as having the black cloud and blahs. For the depression it says to take 5htp or tryptophan. And for the blahs GABA or tyrosine. It also mentions SJW (I tried previously but not for long and noticed no improvement).
It seems there are so many things out there and I need something to get me out of the blahs where I can't focus or care about anything but nothing to stimulate me and make my anxiety/panic worse. Does anyone have any suggestions?

To anyone that replies, thank you SO much. I have literally felt that my life is over since stopping Paxil in December. It is so hard to fathom feeling like such a completely different person overnight and I have been so scared and tired of this. I just want me back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
(female)

Lucibella23 HB User
Re: Supplements/vitamins for depression/anxiety

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time! I took 5-htp for depression/anxiety for several years with good results. Normally you start with 50 mg 2x/day for a week and if that goes well, up to 100 mg 2x/day, and you can safely go up to 400 mg daily. I personally didn't find tryptophan to work very well.

For the anxiety, there are quite a few options:
- A good vitamin b-complex is really important
- Magnesium is relaxing (but can cause diarrhea if taken too much)
- Herbs like valerian, kava kava, lemon balm, hops, chamomile
- The health food store where I live recently started carrying lavender oil capsules and they work pretty well for panic attacks. They do take about 30 minutes to kick in, but they are by far the most effective relief I've found for panic attacks (although I have really LONG ones!)
- Pharmagaba and L-theanine are other supplements (neurotransmitters) that are calming

There are lots of natural options for depression and anxiety, it just takes a little trial and error to figure out what works for you. You might also think about finding a therapist to help you work through what you are feeling. That has been better for me than any supplement.

Good luck,

Lucibella

Old 08-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
(male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User

I'm new to depression. I refused medication. I'm taking a Stress Formula which has 26 ingredients, a Mood Formula which has GABA, taurine, l-theanine, magnesium chelate.

I read a message on healthboards that was posted several years ago from someone who successfully treated depression with magnesium glycinate, l-taurine & B6. I'm already taking l-taurine & B6 in the two formula's I mentioned above. I plan to add 400 mg of magnesium clycinate. I've heard good reports about SAM-e. I've read mixed reviews about 5 HTP & St. John's Wort.

Healthy diet is also important and so is exercise. I'm walking 6+ miles each day.

I've read so many awful stories regarding anti depressant medication that it was an easy decision to refuse medication.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

Tryst HB User

Its interesting two people mentioned the B's since I was just going to post B 12! Try in spray form under the tongue and don't take near coffee, tea or alcohol. Find one that uses the methylcolbamin form of B 12.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

I think you're probably still in the withdrawal stage, and unfortunately it may take a while longer for your body to get back on track, but it will. In addition, women in their 20's can get severe panic attacks, but it gets less common as women age, so that is in your favor. I had them a lot when I was in my 20's, but much less as the years went by. Also, if you drink any caffeinated beverages, you may want to stop, as caffeine stimulates the nervous system, and I think it's best to cut back very gradually. Good Luck

Old 10-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
(female)

tuck HB User

Whenever someone talks about the supplements and vitamins for depression/anxiety, every time a question appears in mind. do anti depressants really work? I'm little bit confused for this.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

foramora HB User

do you get enough good sleep? i find that when i'm feeling depressed that even when i get a lot of sleep i'm still super tired. i started taking these herbal pills called sleepwell and i slept better after a couple of weeks and that really helped improve my mood. sorry i can't be of more help; stay positive!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
(male)

obsvproof HB User

It's a really big mistake to suddenly stop any anti-depression/anxiety medication (or any meds that influence the mind), since there will be a dangerous withdrawal period. Ask your md to help taper off, or do it yourself if they refuse. But you will need to replace the meds with something better and less dangerous.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
(female)

wildoaks HB User

I've had decent luck with 5htp, but my problem is almost exclusively seasonal, although black cloud and blah seems pretty accurate to describe these spells. The beginning of this past week I was SO miserable, I hated everyone (sadly I could hardly even stand my own kids!) and everything, and I kept thinking "I hate my life, I hate my life" which is ridiculous, because my life is pretty a okay. Sounds pretty black cloud to me!

Because mine is seasonal (and I know this is no help to the OP, I'm just putting it out there in case it helps anyone else) my primary defenses are vitamins D and A. I take both fermented cod liver oil and a high IU (2000 a day) D3 supplement. Yes, I know, beware of overdosing. Make sure you know your D levels or at least know the symptoms of D overdose. The A is only in the CLO, so I'm not worried about too much of that.

And the 5htp- when I get the blahs (and only then...) I take a half a 3mg melatonin tab (I actually try to split them into 3 pieces, but it's hard) and 1 5htp pill. I almost always feel 5000 times better in the morning.

Once you get a handle on the withdrawl from the Paxil I like kava kava best for intermittent anxiety- it seems to have the best effect.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
(female)

whitneyj HB User

I tried GABA a while back for anxiety and it definitely helped, although this was before I'd had panic attacks so I can't vouche for how effective it is in that regard.

For anxiety you might try calms forte (homeopathic) or hops - hops I find especially helpful for nighttime anxiety that keeps you awake at night...

For overall mood support, I like siberian ginseng/eleuthero root or ashwagandha - both really good mood and energy tonics that make you more resilient to stress and boost your overall mood - ashwaghanda itself is specific for anxiety and depression while I think eleuthero has a more indirect effect, although I was in some serious depression and without realizing what was happening the eleuthero really knocked it out. Only issue with ashwagandha is that you have to be careful if you're going to mix it with anything else that's sedating, so if you're a drinker, or also rely on other anxiety medications for panic attacks, it might not be the best herb for you (that was my issue with it).

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
(male)

superfly47 HB User

Many studies have shown that taking omega-3 fish oil helps. Exercise is also good, though that can be hard to do regularly even when you feel well.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, I have been taking the amino acid L Glutamine for many years. It stabilizes mood, depresses anxiety and as an added bonus it stops sugar cravings, truly a miracle supplement....

Closed Thread