It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

Neptune227 HB User
Going herbal- my very first post

I'd like to reduce my prescriptions and start taking herbal supplements for two of my ailments. There is so much information on the Internet that I don't know where to start! I am a 28 year old woman with type I bipolar disorder. I take lamictal as a maintenance mood stabilizer. I am not willing to go off of this medication.
I was recently prescribed buspar for generalized anxiety due to PTSD because I didn't want to rely on benzos. I don't think it's working very well. Does anyone know about a2x? I take alprazolam .25 when needed and that helps, but like I said, I don't want to rely on benzos. Do valerian root or passion flower work?
I also have a long history of joint pain due to instability and have had 4 shoulder surgeries with another one looming. NSAIDS don't work and I don't like narcotics but tramadol works extremely well for me. I have been considering topical capsaicin but I also like the idea of taking Cayenne orally because of it's other health benefits. is it safe to do both? Will I get pain relief from the oral supplement or conversely, will I get the other benefits if I just use the topical?
I'd also like to take a joint support supplement. I've heard good things about flexacil.

I know there are a lot of questions in this post but I'm very lost! If anyone out there knows about herbal supplements please reply! Thank you

Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
(female)

wildoaks HB User
Re: Going herbal- my very first post

Congrats on taking this step!

You can take the oral cayenne and the topical capsicum at the same time, but the oral won't help you with the joint pain, although it does have its own benefits.

For additional joint support my two favorite "treatments" are bone stock (chicken, beef, fish, whatever, as long as it's homemade) and whey, as in the liquid that separates from yogurt. I have stability issues in my hips and one knee, not to mention a family history of early joint deterioration, and this seems to help me.

You say your joint pain stems from instability- is it the joints themselves that hurt or the tendons around them? This may affect treatment.

Other herbal treatments that may help- I really like Dr. Christopher's Complete Bone and Tissue Salve (easy to find in a google search). It works wonders for any bone or deep tissue type issue.

I have never had much luck with valerian, but that may be a familial thing. When I take it I feel nothing. When my daughter takes it she gets hyper (she's 6, though, and many things affect kids in the opposite way they treat adults). I have had great luck, however, treating anxiety with kava kava. Do lots of your own research on that one, as some don't indicate it for long term use and can be liver toxic. I only use it when the anxiety gets out of control, which for me is only occasional. Valerian is a time tested herb and may work well for you, so its worth a try even though it didn't work for me. I don't know ANYTHING about weaning off anxiety meds, though, so make sure you're careful and talk to someone who knows what's up. And I don't know about passion flower, it's not an herb I've tried or read much about.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply