It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

betty333 HB User
help! blocked nose 24/7

Hello Everyone!

I have been living with blocked nose for over a year now. It's not seasonal, it all the time. It's only been better when I was away. (I was in Asia for 1 month, no symptoms there) I live in a hot tropical area.
I had surgery last OCT., had some improvement after, but it's almost as bad now as before the surgery.
I had allergy tests, only showed allergy to dust mites and cats. No food allergy.
My ENT prescribed me nasal prays, also started to take zyrtec, but still very congested.
I also use saline sprays, but it doesn't make any difference.
I take tons of multi vitamins, but don't seem to have any effect either.
I spent so much money already, and no cure.
I'm wondering if anybody has some suggestion what else I could try.
I'm desperate!
Thanks!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: help! blocked nose 24/7

Hi Betty,
I think I replied to you on another thread.

Did you try the "Breathe Right" nasal strips yet.?...
I found them really helpful as I was waking many times each night with nasal congestion.

You may need to use them for a few nights depending how congested you are. For me they worked the first night.
I also take SUDAFED as/when nessessary.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
(female)

betty333 HB User

Yes, I ordered the strips, getting free samples :-).
I know sudafed helps, but I don't see the point taking it, as I would need it pretty much all the time :-(

Last edited by betty333; 06-02-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Many people taking meds all the time. What is your objection?

Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Betty,

I was told by my ENT consultant that Sudafed was safe to take for a long time.
I myself have taken it for week's at a time.
It should be taken as directed 4 x per day, every four to six hours.
I take mine in liquid form as I have difficulty swallowing pills. It does help and does not cause drowsiness.

Solofelix.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
(female)

betty333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Many people taking meds all the time. What is your objection?
I don't have objection at all, but it simply doesn't work!
It looks like I am completely immune to all meds (except the heavy ones like decongestant sprays).
Some days when I don't take anything I'm sort of OK. And other days I can take tablets, sprays, vitamins, you name it, and feel no one bit better. Unfortunately the "good" days happens occasionally, and most of the time I'm very congested.
I can't figure out what causing this and why. Nor my ENT & allergist.

I'm wondering what sort of allergy tests others had, what was included?
Maybe there are better allergy tests?
I had both blood and skin tests.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You said sudafed helps but you didnt see the point since you'd have to take it pretty much all the time. That's what I'm refering to.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
(female)

betty333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You said sudafed helps but you didnt see the point since you'd have to take it pretty much all the time. That's what I'm refering to.
Ohh I see what you mean. I've read sudafed can be addictive, like decongestant sprays and after long term use it won't have any effect. It also cause fast heart beat I think. That's why I try to avoid these type of meds, of course I'd take it ocasionally.

Besides I have real doubts that this constant congestion is due to allergy at all.
If it is allergy shouldn't it go away when you're not exposed to it?
A few month ago I went 200 km away, up to the mountain, far away from the coast, 1000 m high, and still had the same congestion.
It could be something completely different, I'm going to investigate it further. Made some other post in another thread.

Last edited by betty333; 06-03-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Sudafed can be taken daily for unlimited time. Do not concern yourself with that. And you could have non allergic rhinitis which getting away from any allergens would not affect. If something works for you, use it. And if your problem is dust mites, there is no getting away from them. They are everywhere.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betty,

You have tied so many different things.
I think you should chose just one and stay with it even if it appears not to be doing much, in time to come it may well work for you.
Keep chopping and changing is not helping you at all. You have nothing to fear from Sudafed, if it was dangerous then I would be out of this world by now.
You can also use the Nasal Strips with nothing to fear,

Solofelix.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
(female)

betty333 HB User

How long have you been using it for? Do you take it every day?
thanks

Old 06-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty333 View Post
How long have you been using it for? Do you take it every day?
thanks

I'm not taking it now as I'm pretty O.K.
I took it for almost a whole summer once. Just three week's recently.
No side effect.

Solofelix.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #13
(female)

betty333 HB User

Taking it for one season it's completely different from taking it all year around.
You can google it up long term side effect sudafed. If I only had to take a few month , that would be wonderful!
Though since the viral infection my sinuses are somehow better. Far from being good, but for me it's a milestone! :-)
I received today the nasal strips :-), will try it tonight

Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Surely if you took it just for the summer it would be worth it if it helped
and who knows it could clear the blockage for good.
Plus the nasal strips as well (you never know till you try).
Good Luck,

Solofelix.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
(female)

hollywoodhearts HB User

My mother has terrible allergies year-round and she found that only one thing has helped not only clear her allergies but it too prevented her from coughing, sneezing and it helped her phlegm to loosen up. What helped her was a salt spa. It's a building that's made almost entirely of salt and there's a room within it called a salt cave. The salt cave has over I believe 15 tons of salt within it which was imported from Ukraine, Poland and other places too but those are the only two I remember off the top of my tongue. It has salt on the ground, beautiful calming water fountains in the back (it's almost like being at the ocean) and it's a 45 minute session where you just lay back in a chair, relax, breathe deeply, and I think you're allowed to do back to back sessions if you want.

My mother only went once and she said she felt about 80-90 percent cleared when she left.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Reply Reply