It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Should I be concerned?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
throstle
(male)

throstle HB User
Should I be concerned?

All:

My first post to the board so go easy on me.

I'm male, 46 years old and a tad concerned about my mental faculties. My short-term memory is not what it once was whereby, for example, names of people, events from yesterday, draw a blank. There are occasions when trying to recall 'things' that there is simply 'nothing there'. My long-term memory, however, is perfectly fine and I can remember the smallest of details from 40+ years ago with absolute clarity.

I have put this down to middle-age and the natural effects of the ageing process. This morning, however, I experienced something new and extremely odd.

I was backing out of my garage as I normally do when leaving for work. All of a sudden a feeling/sensation came over me where I believed that I was at an old address. In short, I was convinced that I was backing out of my old home's garage rather than that of the home where I have lived in for almost 2 years now. It took a good 15-20 seconds before I 'convinced' myself that I was at my current home and the not one I left almost 10 years ago.

I'm probably borrowing trouble, I know. However, this incident obviously has me a tad concerned. I have no medical history of neurological problems but, in my younger days, I did play football and spent 4-5 years smashing my head on the gridiron. I only had a couple of minor concussions - or so I believe - and nothing more.

Has anyone else experienced the "I'm currently in a different/old place" sensation that I described above? Should I be concerned? Or am I just borrowing trouble?

Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
renko
Veteran
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: Should I be concerned?

Hi, I'm glad you shared your concern. Whenever I am concerned about something I try to find out what I can do to give me peace of mind. I would suggest going to your physician and get evaluated and then go see a neurologist and see if they will do an MRI of your brain to see if anything is going on. Hopefully you have medical insurance but I would do these two things to make sure there are no neurological things going on and to get it early if it is. I forget a lot of things too and have to write things down and one time I was rushing I got in my car and drive back into my garage door before I opened it. Things happen when we are stressed or overworked. Best wishes to you. Let me know if they find anything.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #3
kellym1212
(female)

kellym1212 HB User
Re: Should I be concerned?

I agree with renko. It is better to see a doctor to finalize what the problem is. You tend to forget things when you are overworked or stressed out.Its been over 2 months and I hope that you feel better.

Reply Reply