It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

Help! Need Advice ASAP

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
GypsiOkie28
(female)

GypsiOkie28 HB User
Help! Need Advice ASAP

My grandfather has what appears to be Dementia in the middle stages. He has been showing signs and digressing over the last 8 years. When he first began showing symptoms I alerted my grandmother (his wife) that he was in need of medical attention; she did nothing.
Now he's gotten so bad that he doesnt eat regularly, forgets where he is, forgets how to get where he's going when he drives, is becoming incontinent, is hyper aggressive and almost violent at times....long story short, he is getting very bad, very quickly. He sometimes has what my grandmother calls spells but really look like either a mini stroke or a grand mal seizure. He will get very bloodshot in the eyes, start shaking all over his body and hum for about 30 seconds, then he comes too and is very angry and lost. I believe this may have been the cause of his recent truck wreck. He drove his truck into a ditch and after he had no recollection of it happening.
Here's my question; What can possibly be done to get this man the medical treatment he so badly needs? He refuses to get checked out and his wife refuses to do anything at all, so is there anything in this world that can help me assist a very sick, very stubborn family member?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Help! Need Advice ASAP

Unless you or some other family member can convince one of them,your hands are pretty tied unless you think it's serious enough to go to court for guardianship. Perhaps getting a group of like-minded relatives together to do a sort of intervention with them might help but you know your family dynamics and whether that sort of thing might be beneficial. It's very difficult to watch this sort of thing but the legalities of the situation rule. Perhaps a chat with a family law attorney would inform what's available for you. Most local bar associations have a list of attorneys who will give you 30 minutes pro bono if you can't afford one.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
GypsiOkie28
(female)

GypsiOkie28 HB User

bar associations have a list of attorneys who will give you 30 minutes pro bono if you can't afford one.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your quick and helpful answer. It's been a very long hard struggle with my family as well as my grandpa. I will give your suggestion a try and locate an attorney that can steer me in the right direction.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Breezin
(male)

Breezin HB UserBreezin HB User

I do not have any advice for you, in fact, I came on here to seek sort of the same advice. My father in-law lost his wife a couple of months back, and now my wife and myself have noticed how bad his memory is when he comes to visit. He is fully functional, but his short term memory is just awful. For instance, he watered and fertilized her flowers the other day, and specifically told her he was placing the fertilizer next to the trash can, but 15 minutes later I heard him ask her where the fertilizer was. She called me today and said he told her he was going to water and fertilize the plants, and she had to tell him he already fertilized the plants just two days ago.

My wife doesn't know what to do, because she's afraid if she talks to her father about it, he's going to get upset thinking she thinks he's senile. Again, he's not nearly as bad as your grandfather, but we are thinking there are perhaps medications he might take to slow down whatever might be going on. But she doesn't know what steps to take short of confronting him about it. Anyone on here have any suggestions?

Reply Reply