It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2003, 07:35 AM   #1

mlawrence HB User
Question Fever - Late Stage AD

Hello all. I'm new to this board and really hope I can get some information to help us with a family decision. My father is 69 and has late/end stage AD. He has a feeding tube (had for 1 year), is bed ridden and has recently stopped connecting with us. The past few days he hasn't opened his eyes much and when he has he's not reacting. He's had AD for at least 8 years now and we've kept him home (with my mom) the whole time.

We're now to the point where we've talked about stopping the feedings. Obviously my mom is having a hard time with this and doesn't want to "choose his time". He's been running a fever in the 102 range for a few days now and we've decided no more hospital stays. However, the VNA and his doctor say that this fever could last and it could take awhile for him to succumb to it. He's healthy as could be physcially. The theory on his fever is his brain no longer knows how to regulate his body temp.

My questions are has anyone had this experience? If so, how long will it take for the body to break down? We don't want him to be uncomfortable and will choose to stop feedings if it lasts awhile.

Just so you know, we've discussed hospice and several other alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 08-06-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
(female)

gizmolove HB Usergizmolove HB User
Cool

Wheather you stop the feeding tube or not, you should call in hospice. You should really do it, now. This is what they are here for. To help familys at the end time.

I think that what ever you do, that it's an extremely personal and family decision for you to make. We all have to come to grips with the grieving process in our own ways. And, how much time it takes and how we handle it, either makes us or breaks us as an individual.

It is my sincere hope that your family can find peace. All you can do is to love him. And, know that he always loved you. If you can put yourself in his shoes and say, "What would he do, what would he want, if it were me?". Then I think that this might help you find some answers that you seek.

You are in my prayers,
Hugs,
Gizmo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread