It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #16
(female)

Kath833181 HB User
Re: caught totally off guard

We just don't know... he says he has... but who can tell? He says he goes in the morning before my mom gets up. Could he lie like that? I don't know. She talked to the doctor and said if my mom hasn't seen a bowl movement by Friday to call him.

But my mom cannot be with him every moment... and when you have to go, you have to go.

We have told his nurses this and all they do shrug and say talk to the doctor.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:13 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Kath --Sorry about your Dad!! Alzheimer's /dementia has touched alot of our lives some more personally than others. It is very difficult to deal with at times.

Lynne-- I did not mean that Omega 3 oil cures Alzheimer's but who knows it may help? Some people think it does and any help would be welcome. There is no cure for many illnesses/ disorders.

Some examples are --- Insulin does not cure diabetes, NASIDS don't cure arthritis, blood pressure medications certainly does not cure high BP, Proton Pump Inhibitors don't cure GERD and basically many drugs and supplements do not cure disorders but they certainly help and new things are being discovered pretty regularly!

I just suggested to read the book ~~~~ some of Dr. Sears's suggestions just may help???

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 04-28-2004 at 08:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 02:25 PM   #18
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User

I have two great Drs.Unusual for someone with AD.
I swear by my Neurologist,he knows more than anyone in my book.
Redperidal,& Zyprexia can cause lots of problems in people with AD.
I can still tell my Dr.what I can tolerate or not.I will as long as I can.......

Old 04-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Have doctors bothered to check his "potassium" level. It is done via blood work. Many elderly people are in nursing homes needlessly. All they need is the right amount of potassium.

If his potassium level is 3 or lower, he needs a potassium supplement. Too much potassium is dangerous too. Since your dad is on Lasix, he is most likely low in potassium. Lasix will strip potassium from the body. Lack of potassium will cause people to not function mentally or physically as they should.

I have run across some doctors who do not believe in giving potassium. Had this issue with my MIL's doctor several years ago.

Have the potassium tested and insist on a copy of the lab report.

Another cause for elderly to not function mentally as they should is "fluid on the brain". My mother had this problem and most doctors said she had dementia and to put her in a mental institution. Scott & White Hospital in Temple, Texas drained 1 oz. fluid from her spine and said if she was better the next day they would be able to help her. The next morning she got up and cooked breakfast like she had for years. The day before she was not able to walk with a walker or her mind work. The doctors put a shunt in her head to drain excess fluid from brain and she functioned just fine for several more years. She passed away last spring at age 93.

Last edited by Misty800; 04-28-2004 at 02:40 PM.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

bump for needtoescope - maybe you can glean some good info. from this. As you see, we talk and conjecture and exchange ideas here!

Closed Thread