It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 09:11 PM   #1

mgiddens HB User
New member/hello everyone

Hi everyone. I am a thirty year old son whose 84 year old father has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's in the moderate stages. I live about 60 miles from my dad who is cared for by my 69 year old mother. It has been a really difficult experience to see my father become more dependent on Mom over the years. At first his symptoms seemed related to anesthesia he had while undergoing surgery for a hernia several years ago. He did not remember that my twin brother and I were there with him in the hospital. Over time he has gradually progressed to where he cannot drive because he doesn't remember how to get around his neighborhood. Now it seems he is having trouble remembering people and names from years past. I have been dealing with a grief over seeing my parents become more dependent on each other, and in turn on myself. Truthfully, my Mom carries the weight of the stress as she takes care of my dad all the time, from sun up till sun down, and rarely rarely has time for herself to do anything. I recently bought her a computer and a large monitor (for her bad eyes) so she can get on email and the web. I am going to introduce her to this site as well. I think it could be a great experience to hear of other peoples experience and to feel as is if we/she are/is not alone. I look forward to getting to know you people, and am happy there is a place to talk freely about the disease and it's affects on families, caregivers, sufferers, etc. Nice to meet you!

Mark

The following user gives a hug of support to mgiddens:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to mgiddens For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User
Re: New member/hello everyone

My husband was diagnosed a few months ago with early onset, and I'm learning my way around the resources for this awful disease.

I recently forced my husband to go to a support group in our community with me. He said that three of the patients in the patient-group said that they had switched from Aricept to Reminyl, and thought that they were able to think more clearly. My husband switched last weekend, and the kids and I think that his speech might be slightly better. Wishful thinking?

I guess we're almost fortunate in some way, since many of the older patients are struggling with numerous medications. One woman's mother was taking 16 pills a day! I can't begin to imagine the drug interactions, especially for a geriatric patient. The group leader emphasized the importance of working with a neurologist with experience with Alzheimers, since she pointed out that general practitioners may get only an hour or two of information on dementia in medical school. The group was very informative, so I strongly suggest seeing if your local area has any groups that you might attend to help you understand what will be going on with your Dad.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2004 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Not allowed to post other boards - please review the posting rules. Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Beginning:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Beginning For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread