It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #1

slaninko HB User
Hearing voices

My mother (80 years old) in in beginning stage of Alzheimer's. She is now living with me since my father passed away. For the most part, her problem is memory related. She's in very good health and still has a good sense of humor. Her medications are: Reminyl (2 times a day), Lexapro (at bedtime), Monopril (a.m.) and Namenda (two times a day).

Her most recent problem is hearing voices. She first thought it was the radio, then a loudspeaker. The most problematic voice tells her to call a phone number collect (this phone number doesn't exist - it's not a complete number). Her doc thinks it may be due to Namenda and wants to reduce her dosage from 20mg to 15 and then to 10. Has anyone else experienced this situation? If so, have you discovered the cause and solution?

Thanks for a very helpful support and information resource

Last edited by slaninko; 10-17-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Hearing voices

Hi - My mother had Alzheimer's and never heard a disembodied voice (that I know of), but she did see and hear her deceased sister several times. Mom always said that Connie looked so pretty and happy and kept saying, "Hurry and come". Then Connie would wave and disappear. Mom was on Reminyl, too.

Hope the reduced dose of Namenda helps.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2004, 04:43 PM   #3

Colleen_58 HB User
Re: Hearing voices

For the last year, my mom has heard "kids" talking down in her basement. She often says she can hear them talking about her and saying mean things.She will tell me that she's never seen them, but she thinks they stay in her cold room downstairs. I've taken her in and looked around and told her that there is nobody in there, but she says, "well they were, so they must be hiding". You cannot convince her otherwise. It's such a sad disease. I feel so sick at heart over it and can't believe that my mother would get this. I've had her to a pyscho-geriatric doctor, who said she's in the early stages of alzheimers. He suggested Reminyl also, but her family doctor said no. Isn't that nice? All she takes is respirdal, but only a 1/2 a tab of a 0.5 mg., because if she takes any more than that she is zonked out for the rest of the day and I think I can handle her hearing or talking about kids that aren't there, better than I can handle seeing her sitting and sleeping the whole day away.

Closed Thread