It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

TinaBeena HB User
Beware! Statin drugs cause dementia!

My father and my mother-in-law were on these medications. There are medical studies out there that prove these cholesterol lowering drugs are more dangerous than we have been told. You should not worry about cholesterol, but arterial plaque! A study in the American Journal of Cardiology proved that the drugs lowered the cholesterol, but they caused arterial plaque to increase by 9.2%

Side effects of statin drugs: increase in liver enzymes, muscle aches, muscle degeneration, kidney damage, weakness, fatigue, dementia, immune system suppression, an increase in cancer risk, and a serious degenerative muscle tissue condition called rhabdomyolysis.

My dad has had two heart attacks and was put on a statin drug. He went down hill so badly that we were talking about full time care and disability. He's only 56 and was always a hard woker. When he switched doctors, the DO told him to get off the statins because they cause too many other problems. He had him taper off so it wouldn't cause problems. He is now working on semi engines again and walks 5 miles every day. He's too hard headed to eat right, but says he definitely wants to live what time he has left feeling normal.

After my MIL started these drugs, she couldn't walk, she stayed in bed with extreme fatigue, was forgetting everything, and was drooling! We thought she was getting alzheimer's and going down hill fast. After she stopped the statin drug, she bounced right back. She's walking fast on a treadmill, gardening, and feels human again. She takes fish oil, and has cut out all hydrogenated fats. Her cholesterol level is just fine and she's a new person.

PLEASE do your own research on these drugs. There is even evidence that these drugs do not help your heart, put out by reputable PhD's at prestigous medical centers around the US. Don't ever take a medication until you PERSONALLY check it out with the pharmacist and online. Don't take my word for it. Please put the word STATINS into the search engine and read everything you can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Beware! Statin drugs cause dementia!

Dear Tina,

I have heard this before. A few years ago a connection was found. Mom was put on a statin after her heart failure episode, but after 5 months of increasing forgetfulness plus muscle pains, I persuaded her doctor to let her go off it. Unfortunately her dementia kept getting worse, but since she never even had high cholesterol, there was no sense in having her on it.

I do not remember the studies that were done, but I was surprised recently to hear on TV that statins can PREVENT Alzheimer's. I am afraid it is all pretty much up in the air so far. But I would certainly not take those or allow my Mom to take them unless there was a really dire need. If anyone out there is taking - or your 'Caregivee" is taking one, I highly recommend doing what Tina suggests, reading all the literature available.

This was maybe 10 years ago and I am fuzzy on the details, but I think the reasoning then was "old people get strokes/heart attacks from overly high cholesterol, old people get drugs (statins) for this , old people get Alzheimer's. The connection therefore is only assumed to be causal, but may not be."

I do know there is a lot of money being made in the pharmaceutical industry by selling that stuff.

Who can ever be sure? Look at the brouhaha about Estrogen replacement! "It's good for your heart," " no, it's bad for your heart." Look at the practice of 'tanning." Get a healthy tan! Look young and athletic and glowing. " "OOPS, Sorry now you have fatal black melanoma ... why did you lie in the sun so much?"

My Dad may have had it right "If you can still walk, walk away from doctors!"

I am so happy to get a positive report on supposed Alzheimer's patients: glad both your parents are doing well. Thanks for trying to help us here! Maybe you have saved someone's mind today!

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 04-29-2005 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add punctuation

Old 09-18-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaBeena
PLEASE do your own research on these drugs. There is even evidence that these drugs do not help your heart, put out by reputable PhD's at prestigous medical centers around the US. Don't ever take a medication until you PERSONALLY check it out with the pharmacist and online. Don't take my word for it. Please put the word STATINS into the search engine and read everything you can.
Hi Tina, Martha & Alzheimer's/Dementia Board Members,

I post mainly on the High Cholesterol Board, but decided to share info that might be beneficial to this board. I only saw a couple of posts re: the link between Alzheimer's and statin drugs.

My husband was mis-diagnosed with Alheimer's last year. He was on two different statin drugs over the course of 8 years. Zocor, then Lipitor. There were always the typical aches and pains associated with statins, but memory problems started in the 8th year. It started with short term memory loss (I attributed it to "inattention"). One day he asked me the same question six or seven time, just minutes apart. I answered him each time. I later had a name for this repetative questioning: he was experiencing TGA (transient global amnesia).

This was the wake up call. Something was definitely wrong. I searched for answers and discovered the link between Lipitor and cognitive impairment. My husband went through several months of tests: brain MRI and PET scan. Both were clean but an intensive 3 hour memory test (Neuropsychological) concluded he had Alzheimer's type dementia. Neuropsychologist recommended Aricept and for him to resume cholesterol lowering drugs.

I argued with the Psychologist that "Alzheimer's type dementia" was not correct. My husband was suffering statin side effects. He finally said, "If your husband gets better, he does not have Alzheimer's. Those with Alzheimer's do not get better.

Those are the words that I clung to and it's a good thing I did. My husband is getting better.

So my message to everyone on the Alzheimer's/Dementia board: If you are taking (or took) one of the following statin drugs and have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, get a second opinion.

Crestor (Rosuvastatin), Lipitor (Atorvastatin), Lescol (Fluvastatin), Mev a cor (Lovastatin), Pravachol (Pravastatin), Zocor (Simvastatin), Vytorin (Ezetimibe-Simvastatin), Baycol (Cerivastatin). Baycol was removed from the Market 8/01. Baycol caused over 100 deaths & 11,000 cases of severe side effects.

Frankie

Old 09-19-2005, 03:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

My mother was given Zocor after her heart failure episode. She took it for only 6 months before the AD symptoms began. Her doctor allowed her to go off it: she didn't even have any high cholesterol! But the Alzheimer's continued. Maybe it was not related, no one knows. Thanks for putting out this warning. Overuse of those drugs may be the reason for the increase in Alzheimer's in our day.

Martha

Old 09-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

My dad is on Zocor but his AD symptoms started before he was put on it. Plus AD runs in his family. Interesting though....and food for thought.

Thanks!

Love, Barb

Old 09-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

My FIL had quadruple by-pass when in has in his late 60's after suffering a heart attack. He was put on Zocar, but still suffered small strokes that have led to his descent into dementia in his 80's. Zocar did not prevent his dementia. In my research on the effects of statin drugs I have found the view it is counterproductive to prescribe statins to patients over the age of 75 simply to lower a somewhat high cholesterol rate. Higher cholestrol levels are actually beneficial to older people because it "oils" the brain so to speak. He has been off Zocar for six months and he continues to get worse so the Zocar apparently has not been a factor in his case.

I would be more suspicious of a connection between statins and dementia if the victim is fairly young and the onset is fairly sudden after starting statins. My husband was on Lipitor for eight years and gradually developed muscle pain in his legs, which led to Bextra and nightly pain medication. He is 53 now and has been off Lipitor for more than 4 months. He still has some pain, but it has subsided to a large degree. He did not have dementia, but his inability to sleep caused all sorts of depression and fatigue. Statins can affect so many parts of your body as well as your brain.

Jane

Old 11-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

bump for needtoescape - this is a consideration, too.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeslk
My FIL had quadruple by-pass when in has in his late 60's after suffering a heart attack. He was put on Zocar, but still suffered small strokes that have led to his descent into dementia in his 80's. Zocar did not prevent his dementia.

I would be more suspicious of a connection between statins and dementia if the victim is fairly young and the onset is fairly sudden after starting statins.
Hi Jane, Sorry for the late reply. Please don't be too quick to assume that statins would only cause dementia type symptoms in a younger person. And statin side effects do not always occur immediately or shortly after starting a statin drug. Statins deplete our natural stores of CoQ10 and this is the main reason for the various different side effects. Statin dose and length of time the drug is taken is also a factor. And our bodies NEED cholesterol, especially our heart and brain. Our bodies also need fats.

When a patient is prescribed a low fat, low cholesterol diet plus a statins drug...
Well, that's a prescription for disaster.

Frankie

Old 11-07-2005, 07:11 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

Hi, Frankie--Of course, you are right. My husband's muscular problems developed over time and, thankfully, Lipitor didn't affect his mind. I think I was basing my observation on an article I read in a magazine a few years ago. In that case, the onset of memory problems in a young man started within a few months after taking Lipitor.

Jane

Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Hi Jane,

Sorry if I came on too strong. I've just been so involved the past year & 1/2 with trying to determine why my husband started to exhibit Alzheimer's type symptoms and the medical community was absolutely no help at all. The only one that supported our claim that Lipitor might be the cause was our cardiologist. Our PCP, a Neurologist & Neuropsychologist all flatly denied that statins could cause Alzheimer's type dementia.

My husband is much better now. No more bouts of TGA (transient global amnesia). He does forget where he puts things, but I've gotten pretty good at figuring out where he is most likely to put something. At least we can laugh about it now. The TGA episodes were absolutely devastating.

CoQ10 and other nutritional supplements are the key to his recovery. CoQ10 deficiency (caused by statins) is the main cause of "statin dementia" and muscle damage. Dr Duane Graveline provided invaluable information re: statins and memory loss, as well as a long list of how statins affect our bodies in general. Dr Beatrice Golomb conducts an ongoing statin effects study, so there is a small part of the medical community that is aware of how dangerous statins can be.

Hope your husband is recovering too.

Frankie

Old 12-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

this is the post I was referring to.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope this helps new members to make up their minds abut these drugs.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #13
(male)

neurohound HB User

I've read this post and I find the information and the title to be very very ignorant. I am a medical professional, I've worked in research / care for AD now for 6 years, I have three family members affected.

The study you referred to illuded to the use of statins and the fact they did not help in dementia, that there was an increased chance. That increased chance was not related directly to the drug, but the disease state in question. Heart disease.

So you understand AD starts earlier in life, the changes that build to AD in your late years are caused during midlife, microvescle changes / occulsions occur. Beta amayloid plaque is the same that forms in our arteries as does around the neurons in the brain. There is some efficacy with the use of statins with anti-inflamatories as related to the degredation of the mylen sheeth around the cells, which is a fat layer. This study by the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. As well, if you have open heart surgery you have a 80% higher likely hood of developing a dementia, a fact known for many years. This has something to do with the heart lung machine, the hypotho for this is a lack of a crtical enzyme or lack of proper oxygenation.

To say there is one cause that leads to AD is ignorant (that is not a put down, but ignorance for lack of understanding) there are many factors includeing life style, exercise, heart disease, heart bipasssurgery,and genetics.

Before you make statements that Statins or other medications solely cause a disease besure of your facts. There is enough misinformation around the disease as it stands, there is no need to scare people. Statins as any medication have their side effects. But you can't blame one thing for the cause of this disease, that's unfare.

I read a book that was recommended on the site by a member called Alzheimer's Essentials, I've recommended it to patients. It's very very good and it's informative, it discussed statins in it I believe. Try the book it will help in form you. Knowledge is our only weapon in this disease.

The Following User Says Thank You to neurohound For This Useful Post:
jndhabs (04-19-2011)
Closed Thread