It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
hiding things

Dear Friends,

Here we go again, another symptom appears.

Last night I heard Mom moving around in her room in the dark. I waited awhile. I can see into half of her room through the open door. She was moving items around on the spare bed.

This went on for half an hour. I couldn't get to sleep, so finally I asked her, "are you looking for somehting?" Mom said, no I already found it.

But she was still up, standing next to the bed, moving things around. Her suitcase for the Cooperstown trip (today, hooray) was packed and in my room for safe keeping, her pills are ready for Bill to take out of the kitchen cabnet. BUT, she was not going back to bed.

I eventually came out to the bathroom and living room area for awhile, and when I went back she was in bed.

This morning I bring her suitcase to the LR near the door so she'll have it ready when Bill comes. I make sure todays meds are on the table. Then I look to see if her purse (a waist pouch) is here in its usual place so I can make sure she has all the necessary papers (med cards - actually she carries only photocopies because she lost so many) and money. Her purse is gone.

I tiptoe into the bedroom: not there. Not on her bed. Now I am sure she was putting it in a 'safe place' during the night thinking perhaps (or not thinking at all) that someone was getting at her wallet - I do put mney in it regularly.

Bill will pay for everything of course, but she really ought to have the medical ID numbers on her. His computer is broken so I'll call him from work and ask hm to look for it, or ask mom where it is (will she know?)..I also have extra photocopies and the originals but also in my bedroom and not easliy taken out without waking her up ...

Oh if only a few vitamin tablets would help my Mom .. but we have done the whole spectrum of vitamins and she eats a very balanced diet ..no hope there!

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Re: hiding things

Oh Martha, I know all about the hiding things .. MIL is an ACE at it !!!!

MIL took a whole swathe of vitamins for years.. didn't do much good. I think if your gonna get it, your gonna get it. Yes, there are other diseases that emulate it, but AZ/Dementia ... tough cookies *sigh*.

Try looking under the matress, IN the pillow (bit hard if she's asleep of course), re-check the suitcase.

My friends Mother was sewing money into hems .. she did ALOT of sewing .. MIL is attempting to hand sew stuff, so I'm checking alot there.

Goodluck .. !!! Let us know how you fare.

Hugs
Sally

Old 05-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Ok Who hasn't gone through this one? (I know you're dealing with the phone bill now, Sally) Dad takes the bills that are in his name (most are but dh and I pay them from our acct) and neatly stashes them (most of the time) in a stack in his dresser drawer. And his underwear? On the floor or in another dresser, not where they belong which is where the old bills are. He also hides bills behind picture frames in the living room or under some things on a shelf in his room.

Yesterday, I caught dad putting glasses where mixing bowls and such go. I suspect when he washes the dishes, he's not using dish liquid and I have caught him just wiping the dishes with his bare hands, not using a rag at all. that blows my theory that if I bought those new dish wipes with the soap on them, that might help. Not if he doesn't use 'em.

Love, Barb

Last edited by LuvMyLilDoggie; 05-26-2005 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Brain Fog Moment...lol

Old 05-26-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
(female)

SiestaDrew HB User

Hey Martha have a wonderful week end!!! Enjoy your freedom girl.

Love, Linda

Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Yes Martha. Enjoy your weekend! Will you have time to enjoy the city one more time?

I'm taking my Bo to Brookfield Zoo tomorrow. Can you imagine a 16 year old boy actually WANTING to spend time with his mom???

Love, Barb

Old 05-26-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Update: Mom climbed up on a chair between 6 and 9 this AM and took down the blue zipper bag where all her medicine bottles are kept. Plus all her other papers, some cash, some checkbooks.

She stuck it in her suitcase.

When Bill came he got the counted out pill trays for AM and PM for the coming weekend .. and so she now has ALL her drugs - and a new set of prescriptions - with her.

I was planning to refill some of them this weekend, but now will have to wait until she is back.

AMAZING! Not only did she spot it way up on a high shelf, but was not afraid to climb up on a chair. For 6 yrs - since falling and injuring both knees - Mom has not even climbed on a step stool. I GUESS SHE FORGOT HER FEAR OF FALLING.

Well, Bill will put it all in a safe place and bring it back with her; it just means I get to run to the pharmacy on a school day.

UNLESS she took anything important out? Put certain cards and papers and cash back into her own wallet? I took these measures in January after her $250 trip money disappeared (Xmas week with Bill) ..now she has reclaimed her own medicine bag plus.

I am glad he informed me. Glad he has it safe. Glad I am alone!

Okmi said she hasn't seen me so happy and dancing around and laughing at the kids' antics in months. She is also happy tonight, the biopsy showed no malignancy. So happy days are here for awhile ...

Love,

Martha

PS Mom's wallet/waist pouch were on her spare bed, stuffed full of nickels. Later Bill told me she wanted to 'help them pay the highway tolls.' They have a pass system now and no coins have to be thrown in, no way nickels. Actually most bridges around here now cost $6. ... But in a way the collection of coins DID make sense, she just had the wrong decade ..in the 70's it would have been enough.

Bill said Mm proudly told him, "I got up on a chair and got my medicine bag down!." Not "M forgot" ..no explanation at all, just very proud of her feat. I'm glad she didn't fall!

Last edited by Martha H; 05-26-2005 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add, correct

Old 05-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's great! Enjoy your time alone.

What's your plans for the weekend?

Amazing how they forget they were afraid of something. But that's something you probably wish she didn't forget.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend and week alone. Get some good sleep and enjoy your time.

Love, Barb

Old 05-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I do have plans. Tomorrow is a normal work day but I'll go home early and start wrapping Mom's good china dishes in newspapers and place it in boxes.

Saturday I have a few more things to carry to the Post Office for Indiana, then back to Mom's china closet. but I plan to take time for a breakfast at my favorite cafe.

Sunday the church is having a special service to thank me for my work at Circle of Friends for 4 years, and to say goodbye. There will be coffee and cake afterwards. When I get home I'll continue on Mom's knick knacks and so forth.

Monday Mom comes back, but I will have the morning off. That is the day - if the weather is nice - when I may go on the Staten Island Ferry once again ...

After that I have the 4 day school week, one full week, and a 3 day week ..that's all!

Mom will probably go to Bill's on the 11 of June.

It is now moving so fast I have no time to count the days ..

I am sure I will be much happier not dealing with Mom every day. I just hope she will be happy too as much as is possible when she knows something is wrong with her ...

Love,

Martha

Closed Thread