It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
What's a Good Pet?

Afternoon (my end) all .... **waving**

I've just saved the budgies. Yay me!

When we moved in here, MIL adored our two budgies (lovebirds) .. I offered them to her, and she was overjoyed! She loved them! She talked to them, gave them treats, bought their seed and toys .. she had a ball with 'em ...

Until .. hmm .. early this year. All of a sudden, the cage wouldn't be cleaned out (to the point of maggots in the bottom of the cage), their water would be filthy (doesn't take much for budgies .. they're dirty birds) and their seed dishes wouldn't be filled (she would see husks and assume it was food).

We've counteracted these problems all year so far .. until today. She left their cage on the ground outside. I took this as an opportune moment to transfer those two budgies to our single budgie's cage, and them promptly pretended to be a cat and pushed the cage off the back decking.

CRASH!!!

Ok .. she was a bit traumatised when she just came home and found it, but she was more worried that the kids would be upset (cause they did belong to the kids) .. she REMEMBERED that bit .. and having the big two home this week helped, because they were very blase about the whole 'lost bird thing'. I said to MIL "Do you want me to buy some more?" and she replied "OH NO" ... so I figure the budgies lost their cuteness for her and she's probably quite relieved the blessed things have gone!!

Gee it's quiet downstairs .. .. .. gee it's noisy upstairs (3 rats, 3 budgies, 3 kids in our 2 bedroom hovel LOL)

Anyway .. I wonder if it's worthwhile getting apet for her, or if it's just one more responsibility she doesn't want that I'll end up with? This family (bar me) are not cat people. The yard isn't fenced, so a dog is out of the question, I thought birds would be good, but that didn't really work out (from a birds point of view) .. she's most DEFINATELY not into rats, and she's given up on fish (goldfish of the world can breathe again) LOL ... any other thoughts or should I just drop it?

Hugs
Sally

Last edited by mustang_sally; 07-19-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
(female)

sissypop HB User
Re: What's a Good Pet?

Oh well, I was all ready to suggest a cat. They don't require near the attention dogs do. And you can put out dry food for them for a few days at a time. In fact I leave dry food out for mine 24/7. There is the litter box but then if you have one like mine he prefers to go outside to do his business. He's in and out 2 or 3 times a day. That might be a problem for someone that forgets and leaves them outside for an extended time though. Although cats are pretty tough and even if left outside they will usually find a spot to wait it out until someone lets them in.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Cats are very resiliant, good listeners and very calming on people with high blood pressure, unless, when a cat leaps onto their lap, they cringe, pull a face, and turn into stone until said cat leaves.

I love cats ... I am a cat person. My In-Law family aren't. My nieces are ... but that's about it. I KNOW the benefits of having a cat curl up on your lap on a cold winter night LOL .. I am waiting for the day when I can get my own cat again ... rats' are cute, but not quite as good (and they are very bad at cuddling, they are too busy sniffing everything)

Next thought !! But thanks Sissy .. you just made my resolution that little bit stronger for me LOL

Cheers
Sally

Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Sally,

I'd say that the sweetest and calmest of the pets we've had is an older Basset Hound. Her name was Daisy and we miss her still. A fenced yard would be helpful for any dog and I reckon that your family would be caring for the dog or any pet in short order. Nice idea, but MIL may be past that.

Hugs - Barbara

Old 07-20-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Sally. you reminded me of a fond memory of my grandma. She hated cats too. When it came time for her to leave her home, she went to live with her daughter who had a cat. At first, grandma was standoffish to the cat. But after a few days, she started warming up to her. It wasn't too long before the cat was SLEEPING with her! The cat followed grandma around everywhere, like a dog. And if the cat wasn't behind her, grandma was wondering where she was. The pair were inseperable!

Love, Barb

Old 07-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
(female)

sissypop HB User

Bosmom, that is how my brother was too. Didn't like cats at all, even though we always had them growing up. But they had to be outside cats. Well he married a girl that loves them, and had two ( inside cats) when they got married. He ended up buying her another one when one died, then taking in a stray they found in a parking lot. Taking them to the vet when they got sick and spent a fortune on one that had diabetes. And actually shed a tear when that one died, it was the one he had gotten his wife earlier. He dug her grave and set out a tree on her grave. He tells me little stories all the time of the funny things they do. But if you ask him he will probably say he still doesn't like them. Yeah right.....

The following user gives a hug of support to sissypop:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sissypop For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 07-20-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah .. sometimes I think they protest TOO much y'know?

My husband is not a callous soul by any means, but a verbal "I hate cats' person. FIL is a "a good cat is a dead cat" type person, MIL just freezes until the cat 'goes' (and now doubly hates cats because they made the budgies escape ... looking around .. innocent ... )

I had a tonkinese cat (part burmese, part siamese) he was SO intellegent. He walked on a leash, fetched, talked .. he was my baby (until I had the real deals) .. I had him from 3 weeks old .... cutting my proverbial long story short, when DH and I moved in together, Kimba (my cat) came with me (obviously) .. he was an inside cat for sure, yet DH went out of his way to pat the cat (who always decided DH's lap was more comfy than mine since I was pregnant) ... he would pick out Kimba's favourite foods, clean his kitty litter, play fetch with him ...

Yeah.. cat hater .. right .... he never met a thoroughbred, THAT was the problem!

I admit it .. I'm a snob with cats ~~ hanging head ~~

Hugs
Sally
(PS: I think MIL might be better off WITHOUT something to be responsible for, she's having a hard enough time looking after herself !)

Last edited by mustang_sally; 07-20-2005 at 03:32 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to angel_bear:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to angel_bear For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 07-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User

Oooooh, pet stories! We have two bengal cats, and last year we got hubby a mini-dog to keep him company. Hubby wasn't interested in pets, but I thought that having a cat or dog would help our kids deal with their Dad's disease.

The cats snuggle up with hubby whenever he sits down or goes to sleep -- they seem to want to be with him constantly since he was diagnosed! The dog doesn't care if he can speak clearly or not, as long as it gets petted. Taking the dog outside gives hubby something to do beside sit in front of the tv (and our kids get a lot of attention from kids of the opposite sex when they walk the dog since it's so cute heh heh heh). When I get home from work, hubby talks about the pets even when he doesn't have anything else to say about his day. They've been great for our whole family.

It does sound like your MIL is too far along for a pet now (and your hands are so full already!) but having a pet can be helpful. Hmmmm, if I get another cat for myself does it mean that I'll eventually show up on the news as the "cat lady" with a house full of them....?

The following user gives a hug of support to Beginning:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Beginning For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 07-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Sally,

I just had to add my 2 cents. I love the way you saved the budgies!!! I hope I become that inventive. I am thinking of a story for getting my dads guns!? Anyone?

It would take me too long to tell my pet stories. Maybe someday.

Take care. Wannabe

The following user gives a hug of support to WannaBeFreeToRoam:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to WannaBeFreeToRoam For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 07-20-2005, 05:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Wannabe, maybe you can get by with telling dad you're having them professionally cleaned for him and then put in storage for safekeeping?

Animals can be wonderful for people with illnesses but I must agree with you Sally. You'll be the one taking care of the animal since MIL can no longer care for one. And I see what you mean when you said the cat thing will never work. MIL would probably swat the poor thing for making a meal of her budgies.

Did I tell you I have a friend who has eight (yes, EIGHT) cats? God love her! She had four cats and a bird. She wanted to get rid of the bird. She met a lady whose cat had five kittens. The lady wanted a bird so they struck a deal. The lady would take the bird if my friend took one of the kittens. My friend and her dh went to pick out the kitty they wanted. They couldn't decide so they took them all. They had to give up one kitty because it was jealous of the others. He needed to be in a one cat household. I cannot fathom having eight cats in this house. No way, no how. I LOVE cats but that's just too many!

We're in a severe drought. Our county has asked the state and federal governments to declare an agriculural disaster here. We're almost 10 inches below average. Our rather large garden is not doing well at all dispite our watering. It's terrible.

We've been getting some rain today and there's thunderstorms predicted for tonight. We've been praying for rain for a while now.

If you all believe in the Big Man upstairs, please put in a good word for those of us in Illinois.

Love, Barb

Last edited by LuvMyLilDoggie; 07-20-2005 at 06:01 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to LuvMyLilDoggie:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to LuvMyLilDoggie For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 07-20-2005, 06:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi all -

I had to get Mom's diamond rings away from her after she got to the stage of taking them off and leaving them in a coat pocket, on the table, beside the bathroom sink, etc. I'd bought her 2 $10 rings that looked similar so told her that her rings needed to be cleaned. I gave her back the fake rings and she never knew. Of course she kept her wedding band, but I saw no sense in the others being lost. She eventually got the point of misplacing all of her rings, including the wedding band, but happily that was found in her bedcovers.

If your father wouldn't notice the guns were gone because they're stored out of sight or he's forgotten them, perhaps you could just take them when he is napping, in another room, or away on an errand. He might never realize they are gone. Safety first.

Hugs to all - Barbara

Old 07-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

**chuckling ....**

Mini dog .. hehehehe .. my friend got CONNED big time by her teenage daughter and ended up caving in to the pressure .. they bought a shizu x maltese puppy .. he's SO cute .... has the colours of a border collie .. he's SOOOooooo cute ..

but LICKY !! He licks everything!! I detest Licky dogs!! Cute to look at .. definately a draw card for the opposite sex .. but THAT DROOL !!

Gimme a cat anyday ......

I would have a cat ANYTIME ... I grew up with, on average, 4 cats at various times whilst living at home, and I've always had a cat until now *insert pouting sad face here* ....

*Sigh*

When I move :-)

Hugs
Sally

Old 07-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #13
(female)

sissypop HB User

ToBeFreeToRoam.

Could you just make sure there isn't any ammo your father could get a hold of?

Old 07-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks to all with suggestions,

Bosmom - That is a good idea, about having the guns professionally cleaned. Or I could tell him my husband was going to clean them up for him (they used to deer hunt together a little, a long time ago).

Barbara - I could take them during a nap or when my mom takes him for his next haircut. My DDs said that if my parents ever found out, my mom would start thinking I would be taking all the rest of their stuff, next. She is like that, very possesive of her/their stuff! And if my dad had enuf left to figure it out, he would have his feelings hurt. I guess I could tell them that my husband would clean the guns, so my dad could give them to his only grandson. That might really work! But then, we would have to figure out how to get the guns to Florida.

Sissypop - I also like the idea about taking the bullets, or shotgun shells or whatever they are called. I could look in the guns and try to find any boxes of ammunition. But, what if he has some hidden in a couple of places, and remembers?! Leave it to me to think the worst of everything!!!

Thanks again ladies for the ideas. I am going tomorrow. My husband is dropping me off at my parents and he is going to his dads. Usually, we go together to his dads, but not enuf time this week to go on separate days. So, if my dad is asleep (and my mom will be gone), maybe I can do one of the latter hints?! I will talk to my husband and see what he thinks. If nothing else, I can at least look in their closet and check out where the guns and the bullets are located.

Take care yall. Wannabe

Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to fill you guys in on the guns (my dads). All I have done so far is, bought 2 gun locks. They use a key, and when I have a chance to put them on, I will keep the keys. I doubt my dad will ever notice, unless they do decide to give them to the only grandson.

Thanks again for the previous advice. Take care. Wannabe

Closed Thread