It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
(male)

liverock HB User
UCLA Study on Turmeric/Circumin

UCLA did a research project and reported on it about 10 months ago involving Turmeric, an Indian spice.

In India AD is virtually non existent (1% of over 65year olds) and this is what prompted this research project. A compound in turmeric called circumin was tested on rats who had an injection of amyloid in their brains to mimic AD.

Circumin reduced the accumulation of beta-amyloid, the plaque that causes AD,as well as reducing inflammation in neurological tissue.

I was wondering if any body since this research came out had tried using Turmeric/Circumin and if so what where the results?

Thanks

Last edited by liverock; 11-11-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: UCLA Study on Turmeric/Circumin

Whatever the final results, I am rushing out to get myself some turmeric to use on my food! If it has a preventive effect, I'll eat it!

Thanks

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #3
(male)

liverock HB User

As a follow up to the study the UCLA researcher Dr Sally Frautscher, who headed the trial, intends to seek funding for a circumin/ibuprofen combination trial.

She also adds that rosemary(rosmarinic acid) and ginger(vanillin and zingerone) have similar structure to circumin and should be tested.

Anyone fancy a curry ?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

yes, please!

Old 11-17-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

I knew I liked curry for a reason .. LOL

So now, if I start walking whilst eating a curry .. I will hopefully stave off dementia!!

Interesting picture LOL

Hugs
Sally

Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi All,

What is Tumeric/Circumin? I know that it is a spice, but can it be used for other things besides curry? I hate curry!!!!! Could Circumin, be the same a cumin or cumino seed? That is a mexican spice. No? What does Tumeric taste like - besides curry and what color is it? I do not believe I have it in my spice cabinet?!

Come on, yall tell me something else that is good for me to eat (concerning Alzheimers), besides that spice!!! :> :< Uukkk!

Take care.

Wannabe

Old 11-18-2005, 05:19 AM   #7
(male)

liverock HB User

Turmeric is a plant found in South East Asia and circumin is a powder extracted from its roots. Its the main ingredient in curry powder and gives a curry that distinctive yellow colour and woody taste.

If you dont like the taste of the spice you can buy turmeric capsules from health food shops or on the internet. Theres also recipes for other ways of including circumin in your diet on the internet.

Last edited by liverock; 11-18-2005 at 05:22 AM.

Closed Thread