It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
(female)

keanekid HB User
Question Vascular Dementia

I am new to this forum and would like any info on vascualr dementia. My brother who is 61 is unfortunately living in a nursing home. He suffers from Bipolar Disorder and was diagnosed with vascular dementia during one of his extreme depressions. We questioned the diagnosis as when he came out of the depression he seemed quite "on the ball". However when the initial diagnosis was made the Psychiatrist said the cat scan and MRI(?) showed the vascular dementia. He does seem to be slipping some now especially in his ADLs. He eats compulsively.....such as if we brought him a package of SF cookies he will feel the need to consume them all and still go out for ice cream sundae cups. This has become his routine whenever we visit but now he has put on a considerable amount of weight. The nurse practitioner told me that this nursing home is not really equipped to handle mental illness such as the depression but "Where does he go?"........ty to anyone who can give me a few more particulars on the VD as I believe it is supposed to go a swifter path then other forms of AD.......kid sister

Last edited by keanekid; 10-20-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

cyt HB User
Re: Vascular Dementia

Hi - sorry to hear of your problems. My FIL has vascular dementia caused by mini strokes. He's had it for years - so I would say his memory loss has been a gradual thing. He's 86 now and his memory is terrible. Plus he still has mini strokes. They found out he had them through an MRI. He can remember some things that happened back in his younger days but has trouble making new memories. He is living in a senior apt. complex and has a studio apt. alone. He does have a call button if he needs help. I'm so thankful he is able to still live there. He still remembers all of his family, but not all the memories we have made together, which is sad. Dementia is a terrible thing. But it really doesn't seem to bother him - I guess it bothers us more. He leads a simple life now and seems to like it that way. I think getting excited or anxious about anything makes it worse. Take care and keep us posted. C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
(female)

cyt HB User

P.S. my FIL does love his cookies too! And he would eat up all the ice cream in no time if he kept it around. Oh, and he lost his sense of smell too. A few years ago he had a detached retina - don't know what, if anything, that has to do with it. He is hard of hearing and has terrible knees. He says other than all that, he is okay!

Old 10-28-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
(female)

keanekid HB User
Cool Re: Vascular Dementia

Hi Cyt...ty for the reply. In my brother's case, he had many sessions of ECT for his depression which damaged his memory in many ways on it's own it seems. He is suddenly happy as a child which we do see as a blessing. As hard as it may be on us, we would much rather see this happy 10 year old persona then the 60 year old tortured soul who had sucha very tough time the past five years. Thx again Connie

Old 10-28-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
(female)

keanekid HB User
Cool Re: Vascular Dementia

Hi Cyt...ty for the reply. In my brother's case, he had many sessions of ECT for his depression which damaged his memory in many ways on it's own it seems. He is suddenly happy as a child which we do see as a blessing. As hard as it may be on us, we would much rather see this happy 10 year old persona then the 60 year old tortured soul who had sucha very tough time the past five years. Thx again Connie

Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
(female)

bls44 HB User

Hi keanekid,

My mother is in the same situation as your brother, but she is 79 years old. She is at this time in hospice, as they weren't sure why she was declining so quickly. The hospice doc today said it may be vascular dementia, as she fits the criteria for this. She has been on lithium for her bipolar disorder for more than 20 years and since she has had her recent downslide, has not had it for over a week and has virtually no lithium levels right now. She has been so calm and nice and I am just waiting for the big boom. Now my question, has your brother remained on his bipolar meds the whole time or is he off and still acting like a 10 year old? It is much easier deal with a happy 10 year old than a miserable 79 year old. Please let me know what your experience has been.

Thanks,
bls

Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
(female)

gdschillins HB User

my mom is 63. She too has bipolar but also VD. I would really love the 10year old stage right now. She's in a very disgruntled stage as of yet. She only remembers a few things now and not remembering frustrates her even more. She hates that I send her to a daycare because both my husband and I work so she can't stay at home. It would be nice if she could stay alone, but she can't stay focused long enough to do so.
She too however loves ice cream and cookies and would much rather eat that than anything else. The day care staff have trouble getting her to eat her meals after she's scarfed down her dessert. She tells me all the time, "i haven't lost my sense of taste, so I don't have Dementia." Unfortuanally I wish that was true!
She has had 7 strokes along with several nervous break downs. The doctors told us that she will have mini strokes in turn making the VD worse and so on.
God Speed.,
christi

Closed Thread