It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User
update

mri came out clean, no reason there for the memory problems.
doc told her she has a memory problem then went on to say that as long as she can cook, clean and take care of herself she can go on with her life as is. she took that as shes ok and nothing is wrong with her. so after all that i am back to where i was before the docs and tests.
im learning which fights to fight and letting the rest slide. she has fairly good days and really bad days.
the doc did put her on aricept. she keeps asking y shes on that pill, i tell her because of memory problems and she goes off like a volcano. after she calms alittle i remind her of the doc appt and tests then she remembers for a short time.
im not going to be able to get her to go to another doc for awhile, she wants to change her GP to one that is closer to her house. everytime i go to help her with that she gets mad and says that she not going to deal with it now. i feel that she should be on somekind of anti-depress,anger,anxi,bi-pol,stress med. but now that she wont go back to a doc for a while the subject cant be brought up. next time she is in a docs office im going to say something about stress and let the doc see how she blows, maybe then they will stop and look at her as a whole. mom has so many other medical probs, maybe all of it comes down to a bad combo of meds.
guess im still grasping at straws.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: update

Actually a new doc might be a good way to get her diagnosed. Could you find a geriatric doctor and make an appt for her? Maybe you could tell her that maybe she should consider getting a second opinion just to see if she could maybe be taken off of some of the meds. Of course that wouldn't be the reason for her visit but it was always a good way to get my dad in to the doc. And then once we were there, I would meet the doctor just outside the examining room door telling my dad that I needed to use the rest room. It was just beyond the door where I would give the doc all the evidence of strange behaviors (not eating right, not showering/shaving, peeing in his pants, eratic sleep patterns, memory problems, mood swings, getting lost, etc., etc., etc.). It's not so easy to deny when it's documented.

The most important thing is for you to try to keep your cool. Easier said than done, I know. But if your mom senses just a hint of negative feelings from you, she'll pick up on that in a heartbeat and it'll probably send her into a rage.

She sounds so much like my dad.

Good luck!

Love, Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 04:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Re: update

That's the EXACT problem I had with my ex-charge. All the scans came back 'inconclusive'. No evidence of brain shrinkage except as expected for someone of her years.

She had repeated MRI's and NOTHING showed up .. yet she had every single symptom of a vascular dementia (a few of the different ones actually).

**shrugging**

Sometimes there is NO proof until autopsy, and nobody is in a hurry to do that

Hugs

Closed Thread