It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
(female)

zonk HB User
AD sufferers in pain

Hi its Jo here, (just)
well its been a hard 2 weeks....mum visiting last weekend complains of pain sat arvo at about 4.30 pm...shows me the source of pain....an ugly infested red raw rash over her breast under her armpit and across her back...she didnt want to tell my brother (mon to friday carer) because it was on her breast (womens secret business)
we rushed to the doctors for the diagnosis of shingles (very painfully potentially chronic rash caused by the chicken pox virus ..can have bad complications)
more meds 3 times a day, topical ointment to be applied twice a day
A few frantic phone calls later it turns out that local council care will not apply the cream as it is deemed only a job for medical nursing stuff and they will now cancel personal care (showers!) until shingles is given the all clear by doctor 2-5 weeks possibly
so more panicked phone calls later and help is enlisted by the royal district nursing association who will visit morning and evening to apply the cream and
help with showering once a week...brilliant (not)
it just gets better and better....
shingles causes intense pain so we have beaten down a path to the drugstore for painkillers...codeine works, paracetomel doesnt
the wonderful thing about codeine......it causes constipation ....so now she struggles eating, has stomach pains...constantly trying to go to the toilet
aricept causes diarhorrea (I have read) i wish that would happen for my mum
we have to give her the codeine because if you have an AD victim moaning in pain you have to prioritise....the most important thing is pain relief

I have bought meds to aleviate constipation today and she is going back to the doctors tomorrow.
so what is more heart breaking than having your parent (my mum) go through the AD decline than having her in intense pain at the same time
moaning and crying and me saying "sorry , you cant have any more pain killers, you had some ten minutes ago" heeellooo .....what the?????
This is all so wrong in so many ways
we are to be blessed that our loved ones are not dying from a painful condition such as cancer,supposedly shielded from that...I am so ANGRY ...my mum SHOULD NOT be in pain
her poor soul, it was enough to have dad dying suddenly of a brain tumour and her grief struck and suffering from early AD

my daughter, incidentally, has been accepted into a prestigious course at Monash Uni, Melbourne studying Behavioural Neuroscience
A new course designed to have its star pupils investigate, research and treat
and find cures for diseases such as Parkinsons, Huntingdons, Alzheimers and any such brain related disease

any words of advice or encouragement badly needed right now

Last edited by zonk; 11-23-2006 at 03:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: AD sufferers in pain

Dear Jo,

First of all congratulations on the wonderful success of your daughter. I hope she will be on the team that finally gets the world rid of dementia once and for all. I'm cheering her on from far off Indiana. Thank God for people who care enough to devote their lives to helping others.

Secondly --- OMG your poor Mom! Shingles is a total pain in every sense. I hope a pharmacist can recommend a pill that does not cause constipation. Once you find it, give her plenty of it - don't worry about the side effects - for short term use you can go over the recommended dosage.

The worst of it is that false modesty kept her from getting the meds right away. Poor her. My Mom had it a few years ago, but by going to the doctor the first day the painful rash began, and swallowing what she called 'horse pills' for 5 days in a row, it was all cured that fast.

Now to your other problem. Is there an AA in Australia? Is there the Family member's club, I forget what it's called - alanon or alteen I think. You and your family could get advice and help from this organisation even if DH is not yet ready to get it for hmeself. That behavior is enough to cause a desire to be cured .. I hope it does.

Hang in there - many of us are in a similar situation or have been - you are a strong woman obviously, and I pray you will have the wisdom to juggle all your problems and get the hlep you need, as you are doing for your mother.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 10-29-2006 at 04:24 AM.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: AD sufferers in pain

My grandma had shingles. It was horrible but she got over the worst of it rather quickly. Hang in there. It does get better.

Have you been to alanon? I'm a member. I have several alcoholics in my family. My husband is a recovering alcoholic so honey I've been there, done that. It ain't easy by any stretch of the word. But with the help and encouragement of others who have been through what I've been through, I survived and even thrived in some of the most horrible situations anyone could think of.

If you haven't been to alanon or another program of your choice, I encourage you to go. I guarantee you'll meet someone you can relate to and who can relate as well to you. We all need that type of connection with someone. Lord knows we don't get it from the alcoholic.

Love, Barb

Closed Thread