It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
(female)

jsvn HB User
Medicines

My husband has had some problems with agitation quite a bit. I had to move him again. He's now is senior care facility. It's a regular home. He seems to be doing ok. But, I wanted to ask if you think he's being over medicated. He's taking Namenda, 10 mg., twice a day, Lorazepam (Ativan) 0.5 mg (don't remember how often), Depakote, 500 mg., twice a day, and Alprazolam (Xanax). He has an appt with the neurologist next and I'm anxious to ask him, but I thought I would ask here to see if someone could give me an idea of what you think. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Medicines

In my opinion, if the medicines are keeping him calm, they are OK. It can't be good for his heart and his own health to be in a constant state of aggravation, not to mention those around him. It will be good to talk to the neurologist, but meanwhile, try not to worry about it.

love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

This is my argument with some professionals:

The afflicted person is calm on X drug and Y drug.

Professional walks in and says "Well, they're quite calm, we'll reduce the dosage"

Don't they think that X & Y drug is KEEPING the afflicted person calm and that a reduction might actually CREATE a few problems??? (Which it inevitably does as a) withdrawal and b) behaviours the drugs were controlling all kick in)

I understand that being on ANYTHING long term can be detrimental to their health .. but in all honesty .. we should keep a grip on reality !!

Old 10-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

I think there is a difference in being calm and being totally out of it. My FIL was getting agitated and striking the nurses several months ago. He was placed on anti-anxiety drugs, tranquilizers and given sleeping pills. It was rather scary to find him in his bed in the afternoon barely able to open his eyes. He was not asleep because his hands were constantly running up and down his shirt.

When we started talking about moving him to another facility, the doctor decided to take him off some of the drugs. One of the aides also mentioned they may eliminate one of the sleeping aids since they had to wake him up to take it. He is definitely alert when we visit now and so far the aggressive behavior has not returned. I suppose it is all about finding the right balance.

BTW, my FIL was on all the drugs cited in your post as well as Seroquel and a couple of others.

Jane

Last edited by janeslk; 10-29-2006 at 07:44 PM.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Happy Girl HB User

Hey There!
My question would be to ask yourself, did/does his quality of life improve on the meds? Is he comfortable, yet calm...not totally out of it? That would be my gauge to know if his meds are good for him.
Just my humble opinion.
Jackie

Closed Thread