It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

needtoescape HB User
Update... Drooling?

Something new today...

We were at breakfast. Hubby did seem "slower" than usual.
Hubby: “I guess the long slow decline has begun.”
Me: “Dementia?”
H: Yeah, I’m drooling. I find that happening a lot lately.
My Note: I had not ever noticed the drooling.
Me: Are you feeling confused?
H: Do you mean - Am I EVER sure what I’m doing?… No.
Me: Can you give me a recent specific when you weren’t sure?
H: Just now when I was getting the tip together.

The tip thing had happened before and I've noticed quite often that it takes longer for him to get it together and I kind of watch the amount he gives the waitress just in case. I wonder how often he's unsure of other things and I don't know. I'm guessing I'd freak out if I really knew.

Question: Is the drooling a common thing that starts when the person is still functioning overall?

We have a neurologist appt. Dec. 29th. I'm going to update my notes and send it several weeks in advance of that appointment so it will be in the chart for the doc.

Other updates: I have a 3rd appt. with a potential employer tomorrow and he pretty much said they'd be giving me an offer. Yeah!!! I am praying it will be enough to meet our basic needs. Getting back to work should do me a world of good - even if I end up eventually having to pay someone to be with hubby while I'm gone.

Thanks for any insight on the drooling issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

mamaduck4 HB User
Re: Update... Drooling?

My husband was diagnosed five years ago and in all that time I have never seen drooling. I have always thought of that as small stroke or very late dementia. Doesn't sound like your hubby is demented.

Good luck with your doctor apppointments.

Jan

Old 10-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

I can't say I've seen drooling as a typical behaviour/symptom in Dementia, but there is one gentleman I know of who can still hold a brilliant conversation, but get's lost easily and forget's from moment to moment where he is (which enhances the lost)... who drools constantly ... I think he's lost the sensation of feeling the dribble?

Might just be 'one of those things' I think ..

Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

needtoescape HB User

After posting my question, I did some googling on the subject. Parkinsons came up... interesting because he has had many of the symptoms of Parkinsons but not all. At times, he has pretty bad tremors. He also has the shuffling gate at times. His reg. doc. did a few movement things to see if he had certain aspects and he didn't, at least not yet. Who knows. I guess we will add the drooling to the list for the neurologist we see at the end of December.

I filled out paperwork today for the new job. Few more steps for them to complete - but if things go as expected, I'll be on board within a week or two. Boss seems great. I am excited. Really excited. It may make my visits to the board less frequent as I get into the work routine again. But even if I'm not posting, you will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

N2E

Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

I'm running two jobs at the moment, which is why I'm not always about .. but I read more than I post now-a-days ...

Any input, whenever possible is always welcome ..

Big hugs

Old 11-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi All,

I have been very busy with both of my parents (dad - alz. and Parkinsons, mom - early dementia and uncontrolled diabetes).

My dad had a pacemaker put in last Friday and stayed 1 night in the hospital and my sister came down to help and spent the night with him. She was up half the night in the hospital. Then it took 3 people to get him into his car to go home. My husband, my sister and the nurse. We think that the nurses gave him too much pain meds while he was in the hospital. We took none home. His last pain meds were at 4 am Sat. morning and he only started to come out of itThursday. The home health nurse, said that the local (or meds they use to operate with sometimes stay a very long time in old people.

He is still not back to normal, but probably be by this coming Friday, which will be 2 weeks post op.

Then my mom had a colonoscopy, because her sister died of colon cancer years ago. This was her first and I spent the night to make sure she did not eat anything and to watch after my dad. We were up half the night and I am all worn out! Then my husband came in to watch my dad while my mom and I were gone to the colonoscopy. She only had 1 small polyp and we are waiting for the biopsy.

Sorry, that this is posted in the wrong place. I was and still am going to put in my 5 cents worth on the drooling subject.

My dad drools in his sleep only. Has for about 2 years. But, he also drips from his nose. He does try to blow it and such, and takes allergy pills, but he will have a drip going from his nostril and not know it. So, I just reach over and get it with a kleenex! He knows he drools, but not the dripping from his nose!

We are also having trouble getting my mom to stay home with him and never leave him. She has left him for 30 min. - 1 hr. several times since his operation. When she could have help 3 x week, for 1/2 day, for a year. This is thru their long term care insurance... We have tried and tried and tried, but to no avail.

Thanks for listening and any comments would be welcome.

Love, Wannabe

Old 11-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to bump this up. I posted it in the wrong place - should have started my own thread.

Any ideas, help, info that anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I go back to my parents tomorrow. Last time I talked with my mom, their car did not work. If they have not figured out to fix it, that will be my main job. But, must do the pills and bills, also.

Sorry to be such a pest, but my mom needs help as the main caregiver, and just will not accept the help that she can get! I left them alone (they live by theirselves, anyway) from Friday evening until in the morning. I hope that she realizes a little more about how much help they really need.

Love, Wannabe

Closed Thread