It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
(female)

zonk HB User
Nh placement

the shingles has exasberated mums dementia.
who has told me she needs to be placed?....my brother, my husband, my mother in law, my god mother, an attending nurse...ok ok I get the message!:
BUT she is still continent and mobile
in july I started to have her every weekend sat morning to sun arvo...at first when she needed help she was "jo? ...JO...are you there jo>>>?
now we have deteriorated to moans...she moans a little, then moans a bit louder and then gets hysterical (reasons being from needing to go to the toilet ...not enough toilet paper...feeling lost...not having a hanky) her way of getting what she needs I guess
on sun morning i took her into the bathroom
"time to brush your Hair" ...chirpily
i put the brush in both hands (unsuccessfully) touched her hair "repeatedly"
to try and get her to brush her hair ...to no avail...she can no longer understand one step instructions.
her ability to dress herself will be shortly no longer...and is starting to refuse food.
YES I am doing the nursing home thing...I said earlier it would be incontinence or bedridden or wandering that would be the trigger but I was wrong. We can no longer give her the level of care she needs.
Advice to OZ members...get them on the waiting list now.ask me how if you dont know"all very daunting"..if a place is offered, you dont have to take it if you are not ready..they say the waiting lists are not bad...just ring a few NH and ask them! I am getting at the moment 6 -12 months
I know you think you dont need it but things can escalate and you may find that 6 months down the track you will be glad you did
I wish I had known better.
I will have mum in home within six months ...no matter where the vacancy....she needs too for her own sake
kind regards,
your very stressed,
Jo
PS...was advised by nursing friend to call emergency if things reached crisis point..I had already thought about that...sound familiar anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread