It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

OHchick HB User
Broke my heart

My Grandmother is 82 years old. I live with her. I have been for two months.

I took her to a Tastefully Simple party at a friend's house one night. She thanked me about 4 or 5 times for taking her. She said how nice it was to get out of the house. She asked me on the way home, if she had keys to get in the house. She was very happy about getting out. When we pulled in the drive-way she said, "Do I stay by myself at night?" I said, "No, Grandma. I live with you." She came in the house and sat down in the chair and said, "What bedroom do I sleep in?" and then she just cried and cried in the chair. It broke my heart. I went to bed that night crying. I felt so bad for her.

If we change her routine, she gets confused like that. She is realising more and more every day that her mind is slipping.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
(female)

AliceJane HB User
Re: Broke my heart

Dear OHChick,
Yes, it is sad when loved ones start showing signs of disorientation. My husband heads to bed at night, saying 'which bed do I sleep in?'-- and when he gets up in the morning, asks me where the toilet is. He just doesn't recognize this as his house. Your grandmother is fortunate to have you able to stay with her. It can be hard to be calm and reassuring in telling loved ones, 'oh yes, you live in this house' etc. while inwardly you're feeling that sinking feeling.
AliceJane

Last edited by AliceJane; 11-09-2006 at 06:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

fourt9rkim HB User

My 85 year old mother is doing the same thing lately...asking what bed she sleeps in, and in the past month has been thinking that dad and I take her 'up north' instead of staying home. Several times, she says that our house isn't 'our home.' One night a couple of weeks ago she thought that a neighbor dropped her off at a school ground and never came back.

I hate this disease....I truly do. My heart goes out to you.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
(female)

OHchick HB User

This IS an awful disease.

My Gma asks what bed she sleeps in for a while and then she'll stop for a while, and then she'll start again. =(

She's REALLY going to be lost when she moves into my Mom's new house. I just hope that the move doesn't cause her to deteriate more.

Closed Thread