It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
And now my dad

Mom was diagnosed about 3 years ago and we put her in a locked down ward in january due to a hip replacement. She needed one on one care after the hip surgery and that sent her to the locked unit for rehab-and it is where she needs to be.

yesterday i found out my dad has this dreaded disease also. it's not fair. I was suppose to have a parent that was going to remember me. I can't even type through the tears...

Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: And now my dad

Dear Friend,

Don't let this throw you. Your dad may be in the very early stages, and depending on his age, he may progress very slowly. My Mom was pretty rational when it all began, and her downhill progress has taken a very long time. Meanwhile drug research is going on that my save all Dementia patients. In any case it doesn't have to be as bad as your mom's case.

Try to be optimistic. I know it is a devastating disease. My Mom still remembers me - although in the very final stages of AD - if someone reminds her who I am. That is enough for me for now.

You are in my prayers.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: And now my dad

Oh honey, my heart goes out to you. I can't imagine the sadness you must be feeling.

Martha is right. The disease progresses differently for each person. We've been blessed in that my dad has a slow progression. His started I believe when he was in his late 60's. He's 80 now and can still do many things on his own or with minimal assistance. He does need someone with him all the time but he seems content with that for now.

Try your best to be positive. I know that sounds impossible but just try.

Give yourself some time to absorb your dad's diagnosis. Talk to your dad now about all the important things as well as the totally insignificant things. Enjoy this time you have with him now. Someday if he comes to a point where he doesn't remember you, at least you'll know that he was happy spending this time with you and you with him. And you'll remember those stories he tells you about long ago so that you can pass a bit of his legacy on to the next generation. What a beautiful gift to share with your family. And what a wonderful way to honor your dear father.

Love, Barb

Closed Thread