It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

onemorething HB User
What did you have to eat?

Friday night I took my Mom to dinner. She asked me 7 times during and after the meal "What did you have to eat?". While I was actually eating the salad, with my meal in front of me, she asked 3 times "What did you have to eat". It's such an odd disease. Aside from that type of thing, she seemed very well.

So I'm off for a l-o-n-g day with her. Laundry ( I pay assisted living to do it, then I go each Sunday and do it because they can't do it "right"), getting her hair done, visiting a friend of hers who just left the hospital and maybe a meal out. It will be a day of "What did you have to eat" from start to finish and there are times when it's just exhausts me.

Menopause (mine) and AZ (Mom's). Not a good combination!!
So I plod on.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandyspen HB UserSandyspen HB User
Re: What did you have to eat?

Hi Onemorething,

I know what you mean. My brother and I were just talking about this the other day. My mom, too, seems to get stuck on a particular sentence or thought.

She'll ask the same thing over and over for weeks, sometimes months. Then it will switch to something else......over and over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: What did you have to eat?

Yep. Dad does that too. Or he doesn't say much of anything at all. That seems to be happening more and more.

Although listening to the same thing over and over again is annoying and even frustrating sometimes, I think I'd rather dad do that than say nothing at all. When dad is quiet, he gets a certain look in his eyes that tells me he isn't able to follow the conversation at all. So he stays quiet and goes into his own little world which is getting smaller as time goes by.

I haven't seen my dad in 1 1/2 years. I imagine he's getting that look more than he used to when I was his caretaker. I'm driving 700 miles on Thanksgiving Day to see him. I'm exited about seeing him again but worried about it too. I wonder if he'll call me by name or if he's forgotten me. He knows me on the phone but I don't know if he knows my name anymore.

Oh you are in a tough spot, Onemorething, with menopause and your mom's AD. You're right. Those two things are not a good combination. I'm at the very beginning of menopause so it's not bad yet. I can't imagine dealing with that and my dad. I thought it was tough when I was cramping with him here.

I think you're a good daughter for spending time with your mom and doing things with her and for her. It sounds like she really enjoys your company and appreciates what you do for her.

Love, Barb

Closed Thread