It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

OHchick HB User
Book suggestions?

Anyone have any sugestions for good books about Alzheimer's in general and Alzheimer's activitiy books?

I got some books from the library. One was for activities. It wasn't what I was looking for though. It was for activities for patients in a nursing home. My Grandmother is in the early stages. She use to be a WONDERFUL crafter. She use to do plastic canvas projects, knit, crochet, and paint. She was GREAT at it, but now she can't follow a pattern. Any suggestions for a book with activities or crafts in it?

And I got the book "The Alzheimer's sourcebook for caregivers" from the library. That is a good book. I am reading it from cover to cover. Any suggestions on a good book to just help you get through the day? Anyone read a good book about someone's own personal story dealing with their loved one?

Last edited by OHchick; 11-16-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Re: Book suggestions?

[ REMOVED ]

Also check our 'sticky' up the top of this particular board about activities, some of these are tried and true from those of us here on the board.

Goodluck .. frustrating isn't it?

Cheers

Last edited by moderator2; 11-16-2006 at 11:36 AM. Reason: what you wrote about the posting rules is not true - please let the moderators do it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
(female)

OHchick HB User

I read the sticky all the way through, and did get some ideas from it.

And I did look on for books. I am a TERRIBLE book picker outer though. I got one from the library about the early stages. I thought it would be GREAT! It's TERRIBLE. ***shrugs*** So I hate buying a book and then hating it.

Please post if you know of a "can't miss" book for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-16-2006 at 11:38 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 11-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
(female)

georgie04 HB User

Very early on in my SIL's journey with this disease i bought The 36-Hour Day : A Family Guide to Caring for Persons With Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementing Illnesses, and Memory Loss in Later Life by Nancy L. Mace.

It was a huge help to all of us, mainly I think for helping to understand how an AD person perceives the world and people around them, what scares them etc. And strategies for communicating, connecting and reassuring them. It also helped (as much as it is possible ) to prepare us for future stages.

That would be my pick, but I see there are some newer titles that specifically cover activities.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

carolann3123 HB User

I strongly recomend reading "Elder Rage or Take My Father....Please!" by Jacqueline Marcell. This book is outstanding. My Mother is now in a assisted living home, but when she was still at home it was awful. This book tells you how to care for an aging parent and has alot of resources. Also, the stories the author tells are done with compassion and humor. Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User

We found "Alzheimers for Dummies" to be really helpful and easy to read. It's very comprehensive. I was surprised to find there's a book on Alzheimers' in the series.

Last edited by Beginning; 11-16-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
(female)

Lady Ann HB User

I recently read "My Journey into Alzheimer's Disease" by Robert Davis with help from his wife, Betty. It's excellent! There are many meds that can help that this man didn't have 10 years ago, but I thought the book was great.
He is a man of strong faith ~ was a retired pastor. So if you are a person of faith, it's definitely for you. I got several copies on e-bay to help our children understand the various situations. Happy reading.

Closed Thread