It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

needtoescape HB User
Quick hello

I have not been keeping up with the board since I started my new job. Hello to everyone and welcome to the new members. For those that don't know me, my hubby has not been diagnosed with AD, but is having some confusion, memory issues, and word finding problems that may be very early signs of AD. (He's had all the tests to rule out other causes.)

I am so happy to be working again. Hubby did fine with one exception. I had told him on Monday (my first day of the new job) that I would be going straight to a funeral home visitation after work. We discussed it (best route to drive, etc.) - but that evening he forgot and couldn't figure out why I wasn't home - why I was gone 12 hours on my first day - what was going on, etc. By the time I got back, he was upset and quite worried. I plan to get a dry erase board and make notes of the schedule for the day before I leave every morning. Also, I hope to get a cell phone soon so I can call him from work (it's long distance so I can't use the work phone).

I am routinely checking the restaurant bills and tips now because he has problems with that more often now. I'm also finding myself explaining the more subtle aspects of a TV show plot. He doesn't follow things as well. And I notice him adding something in conversations that someone already said a minute before - but he doesn't remember it was already said. He also makes jokes(?) about being suspicious of me... so I wonder if some paranoia is beginning. There was also a situation when he couldn't find me in Walmart (even though we were to meet up front) and he was beginning to think I'd been kidnapped.

We have a one year appt. with the neurologist in December. I will share my notes of the various "episodes", but I am not pushing for a repeat of the neuropsych tests because I don't think there has been enough decline (thankfully!) to have a different result. I think he would still "pass". I do think next year it may be a different story. Or, if there is much change in 6 months, I could always made a mid-year appt.

Anyway, the good news is that I'm working again (after a year of unemployment) and I think that will help my mental health tremendously. I feel like he is safe alone for now. I pray that will remain so for as long as possible.

Hugs and prayers for you all. N2E

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

georgie04 HB User
Re: Quick hello

Hey there, thanks for checking in - I was wondering how you were doing. So glad to hear you are enjoying working and that things are (relatively) stable.

The dry erase board sounds like a really good idea - also a good place to write your new mobile number?

love Georgie

Old 11-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User

Good luck with your new job! I was glad to hear things are going ok for now. Except for (1) getting prescriptions for drugs like Aricept and Namenda, and (2) getting the formal diagnosis that may begin to make your DH eligible for SS Disability (6 months with no ability to earn to qualify!), follow up appointments aren't very useful. Repeating the memory tests may indicate a possible timeline for progression, but it's not like they can do much to stop it.

Having said that, we will be going back to the Alzheimers' research center for our "4th year diagnosis" anniversary (hard to believe) in February. We're in a research study, so DH is tested annually. I don't need them to tell me that he continues to deteriorate -- for ex., reading is now nonexistent and he can't tell time anymore. Fortunately, no signs of paranoia or aggression, and he's still pleasant and childlike.

When he was diagnosed, we got a huge calendar white board at an office supply store. I mounted it near the telephone. I erase the days as they pass, so he can always identify the current day. I wrote my cell phone number in permanent marker on it. I'm now looking for one of the phones that has speed dials and pictures of who you're calling, since I think he's starting to mix up numbers when trying to dial. Cell phones haven't worked for my DH. I had read that it was a good idea to have one in the patient's pocket with programmed numbers in it, so if the person got lost he/she could be called or might call for help. Even in the earlier stages of DH's illness, though, he wouldn't use one. If mine rings, he'll bring it to me instead of answering.

Sorry I'm rambling. It's one of those nights I can't sleep. Keep us posted, and have a happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
(female)

georgie04 HB User

That's weird Beginning, my DH won't use a mobile either. And won't call me on my mobile. I actually gave up having one a couple of years ago (other than my work one), but got a new one when he got sick last year as a way for his kids to talk to him in hospital (they all live in other countries so also have time zone issues) and for him to get me in an emergency.

No way no how can/will he use it. I'm not sure which.

When the kids came back we tried together to get him to use a mobile (using contact with the kids as 'bait' ) Didn't work. Either he thinks it is a conspiracy to make him pay more for the privelage of a phone call or he is having trouble learning new technology (I got him an ultra simple phone which he did manage to work a couple of times, but still handed to me when he finished a conversation so that I could hang up for him). It had a big red button for 'end'. I have read that 'they' are designing mobiles specifically for 'old' people now but I haven't seen anything on the market yet. The pictures phone sounds wonderful.

Not trying to hijack your thread n2e, but I would be interested to see how your DH adjusts to the mobile. I thought I was introducing another safety measure but it backfired. Of course, you are thinking of calling him instead of the other way around which is very worthwhile.

I do know that my SIL who is getting quite advanced in her dementia can always manage to dial a prominently displayed phone number when she needs help, which is why I suggested writing the number on your board. We also do the crossing off days thing which is a tremendous help to her.

love Georgie

Last edited by georgie04; 11-19-2006 at 11:35 PM.

Closed Thread