It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

south249 HB User
Need Help With This One!!

Hi, I have a question. Last year my husband was getting into our taurus and he bumped his head on the door thing. A few days later it swelled up, but he said it doesn'st hurt or anything. No dizziness or headaches etc. The last 6 month he has been forgetting alot of things. Our family doctor said the bump was an abcest and gave him antibiotics. Okay the swelling went down etc. but the lump is still there.

does anyone know what this could be? Should we go see a neurologists. aren't cysts soft or can they be hard? I just think that this bump is whats causing his memory loss, or does it sound like dementia to anyone? any help would be so welcome.

south249

Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
(female)

cyt HB User
Re: Need Help With This One!!

Dear South - this brings back bad memories for me! My Dad did the exact same thing - he bumped his head so hard on the car door one day that Mom said it brought tears to his eyes. They didn't do any thing for it. Then my Mom started noticing little things he was doing that seemed odd. For instance, once he forgot how to get gas, he got kinda lost while driving, etc. She noticed all of this AFTER the bump. It wasn't too long after that when he had a major stroke. My Mom always said it was the bump on the head that caused it, but who knows - they never had the bump checked. The doctor just looked at us like we were crazy when we mentioned it. I would say get him tested every which way - you don't want him having a major stroke if you can help it. Good luck and please keep us posted. I think a blow to the head, or a hard bump can cause all sorts of things. JMHO. Take Care, C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

Suzy2 HB User

Your post caught my attention because a few months before my Sister started having memory problems she bumped her head when involved in a car accident. She went to the Hospital but said she was fine and they didnt realy check her over very much.

My Sisters Doctor says that the bump to the head has nothing at all to do with my Sisters dementia. It certainly makes you wonder though doesnt it!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

georgie04 HB User

With the exception of the car accident, mightn't this be the other way around?

I think both spatial memory and visual/spatial perception are affected in the very early stages. So could it be that that bumping their heads was an early sign, rather than the cause?

Old 11-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Interesting thread !!!! All mind bogging .. !!

When I was doing the doctor round of trying to get my ex-charge diagnosed, each and every doctor asked "has she ever had a significant blow to the head?"

Yes !!! She had been in a couple of severe accidents over the years, one putting her into hospital .. and all the doctors nodded their heads and went "ahhhh .. yes .. hmmmm".

They never actually BLAMED the accidents to her dementia, but they certainly gave the impression that they had contributed.

I hope you find some answers, and I REALLY hope that your hubby's troubles are fixable.

Closed Thread