It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
(male)

Chris26MI HB User
Mother is in the Psych Hospital :(

My mother has been suffering with dementia since she was about 56... Ive posted here before but with a different user name. Some might remember me, I live in Michigan and my mother is 60. Im her son.
Anyways, she started crying more about 2-3 months ago and her regular (family) MD wouldnt prescribe anything new saying he couldnt. So I brought her to a geriatric doctor specializing in dementia. He prescribed Zyprexa (an anti-psychotic) to help lessen the paranoia and delusions. They were getting so bad that she would beat up my dad saying he was trying to kill her and she wouldnt take her anti-depressant, thyroid medication, or high blood pressure pill because they were "poision".

Just so you know, the zyprexa seemed to aggravate her delusions and paranoia quite a bit. The DR advised me to bring her to our local psych hospital Very sad. They had to heavily sedate her as she was very physical with the nurses and has bruises all over her hands/arms from banging on windows/walls/doors! Very sad to see your Mother like that....

My real plot of this thread is this: I have Durable power of attorney, regular power of attorney and am the executor of my Mothers Will. However, the psych hospital says I also have to be "Guardian"??? Nobodys ever mentioned that before or I would've had it done by now! Does anybody else here have guardianship of their loved one? Is it hard to get? Why do I need guardianship when I have DPOA? (of which they have copies of my DPOA and POA papers)....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
(female)

Jess22 HB User
Re: Mother is in the Psych Hospital :(

sorry, it ate my post! i'll try again later.

Last edited by Jess22; 12-10-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

My guess is that you're missing the medical POA since you didn't mention it. That's why they're telling you that you need guardianship. You cannot get medical POA now because your mom has to be of sound mind when she signs the papers. If you do not have medical POA or guardianship, you won't be able to make any medical decisions for your mom. And you might find that some medical professionals are reluctant to inform you on your mother's condition because of the right to privacy act.

I don't know how hard it is to get guardianship but I know that there are people on this board who have done it.

I wish you the best.

Barb

Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
(male)

Chris26MI HB User

I do have durable power of attorney and have since 2002, which IS medical power of attorney. I did get it all figured out today when i went to court to petition for Guardianship. The Judge said my power of attorney and medical power of attorney papers are more than sufficient. I went back to the hospital and they said "oops! we didnt copy the medical POA papers!" so now Im cool

Last edited by Chris26MI; 12-11-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I wish your Mom a very quick recovery. I hope the meds they are using will help her. Good luck!

Martha

Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
(male)

Chris26MI HB User

Thanks Martha! its very hard because the visiting hours at the psych hospital arent like your "happy lovey cooshey" regular hospital. You only get to visit Tues & Thurs 7pm-8pm (YES only 1 hour!) and Saturday 1pm-3pm (YES only 2 hours!)

Again, the Doctors are getting our hopes up high by saying that her symptoms of dementia might have been from a nervous breakdown/bi-polar disorder (no history of mental illness EVER)/psychosis.
Im not holding my breath.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My medical POA is included in my durable POA. My attorney insists on including all of it in one document for just the situation like yours. My mother's was drawn up by him as well and I never had any issues finding out about her care, what drug prescriptions she had (I had to follow behind her as she shopped doctors for prescriptions), getting into herbank account records, etc.

Closed Thread