It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Help - need clothes for Dad with alz and parkinsons

Hi everyone,

I need some help, trying to get my dad some clothes for Christmas. He cannot do buttons and hooks and zippers hardly at all. So, I am looking for mens pants, jeans or slacks that only have elastic at the waist band. If the pants have elastic and button and zipper it totally confuses him.

My mom found some ladies jeans, that he is currently wearing, but they have no back pocket for his billfold. He still likes to carry it, when we go out to eat or some such place. Lots of $1. and $5. bills! Cannot count it out to well, but likes to have it there! :>

Also, I would like to but him some kind of shirt, that does not pull over his head, but does not button or zip.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can still order these online, I think, if I do it tomorrow or this weekend.

Thanks for yalls help.

Love, Wannabe

Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Help - need clothes for Dad with alz and parkinsons

Jogging suits - the pants often have pockets. They come in various colors. price range from cheap to incredible.

Good luck!

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
(male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User

Sears, Roebuck has a specialty catalogue for elderly/handicapped people with regular looking clothes that fasten with velcro. That might make it easier for him to fasten or easier for his wifew to adjust if he doesn't get it quite right.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
(male)

Chris26MI HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha H
Jogging suits - the pants often have pockets. They come in various colors. price range from cheap to incredible.

Good luck!

Martha
Vedy vedy clever. Wish I had thought of that! Im going to get some for my Mother.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

and .. a handy hint ... ge everything one size larger than they normally take. Helps get over the pointy bits like elbows, heels and bits!! Especially if they are using incontinent aids too!!

I also recommend stretchy Polo Shirts (less buttons to fuss with, and stretchy too) and stretchy pyjamas ...

AND .. for our more advanced love ones who are more or less bed bound, a handy hint is to get stretchy dresses and nighties (ok ..not so much for the men I guess .. but you'll get the drift) and cut them up the back to the neck. That way they slip over the neck, and down the front (dignity ++) but make things easily accessable (incontinence aids, draw sheets) underneath.

You can do that with Singlets, T-Shirts and even men's shorts (they end up a kind of wrap around thing).

Every little bit helps!!

Cheers

Old 12-14-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great ideas! I will try them all. I did not know about the Sears catalog thing. Angel Bear, what is a singlet? Please translate from Aussie to Texan!!!!! :>

And, I would like to ask yall or the moderators, if you can tell if I have worms and/or viruses?! My pc is going very very slow and always looking for server!

Thanks again everyone, for your hints. If anyone has more, besure and tell us! My dad wears tennis shoes and casual dress shoes, that have velcro closings. That helps a lot also.

Take care.

Love, Wannabe

Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Umm .. a singlet is like a t-shirt but without sleeves (singlet top?) and men use them under normal shirts, babies wear them under their suits ...

it all helps .. bit by bit .. LOL

Old 12-15-2006, 04:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

we call them sleeveless undershirts here! Or 'athletic' shirts. If made to be worn outside, 'muscle shirts.' Many of the men wearing them, however, are only showing off their stomach 'muscle" ....

Old 12-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi All,

I just wanted to tell you that, in Texas at least, Sears does not have that special catalog anymore (nor on line).

I put in a description in the search box and found 1 company that sells the kind of pants that I think my dad needs. I am going to get him some new house shoes, also. His are like new, but have a very slick bottom. So, I will find him some nice warm house shoes, but with a outdoor/non slick bottom!

I will look one more time tomorrow and see if there are anymore on line stores that carry the special clothing, that alzheimers patients need.

Thanks again for your help and I will report what I find and where (that is if the mod. on this board will ok it).

Love, Wannabe

Closed Thread