It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

cyt HB User
What do I say

To my aunt, who has dementia? When I used to talk with her on the phone she would say she sure was glad she didn't have dementia like so and so did. Now today when I phoned her she said she is getting so forgetful during conversations - she's so right! You can tell her something and 5 minutes later she asks the same question all over again. We've known something was wrong for sometime now. What do I say to her when she mentions her memory problems? Today I just told her to mention it to her doctor - she said she would if she could remember to. She thinks she's just not paying enough attention during conversations. Thanks, C

Old 12-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: What do I say

If your aunt lives alone, someone needs to go and pick her up and go wih her to the doctor. Is she far from you? Do you have cousins (her children) you could call and express your concern? You have a lot more experience in this than they probably do. Just ask them to get her thoroughly checked out inclusing memory.

Usually the dementia victim is the last to know. As Sally has so often said here, she thinks she is just fine, thank you very much, and the rest of the world has gone crazy. Perhaps it is a natural defense mechanism not to believe you have the most dreaded disease.

I was just sitting here wishing I could call my mom. I think she should be back at the nursing home by now, but I call and let it ring and ring and she never picks up. Apparently she thinks it must be for someone else, or just doesn't hear it, or the sound of a phone ringing does not cause any reaction in her brain.

I miss being able to talk to her - even if much of it was repetitive.

I hope you or someone else can get help for your aunt.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread