It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Season's Greetings

Season's Greetings Everyone!!

May you and yours have a joyous Christmas and an enjoyable New Year. May 2007 see us have more peace and tranquility. May the year prove prosperous not only financially, but in health as well.

Merry Christmas!

Sally

Old 12-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Season's Greetings

Thank you, my friend! And Happy Holidays to you as well!

Merry Christmas and a Happy, safe and prosperous New Year to all!

Love, Barb

Last edited by LuvMyLilDoggie; 12-20-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Thank you - I wish the same for all of us - peace, health and a sound mind!

Love,

Martha

Old 12-20-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Angel Bear and all you other wonderful caregivers! :>

I hope that we all have a peaceful and stressless (as much as possible) holiday time. Take care of you before you take care of your loved ones!!!

I cannot wait to see my daughters and my new son-in-law! And my grand-animals,too!! :> Had to buy a lot of dog and cat toys and treats...

As for all of you, do as I am going to do. Do not stress out because of the seasons. Buy as much as you can premade and only make the few food items that everyone looks forward too! And have the other bring food too!

Here is to 2007, if we do not talk very much til then: May we all have less stress, more sleep, & loved ones with alz and dementia who do what we think is best for them - at least every now and then! :> :>

And hope that god wants what our preacher (Joel Osteen) in Houston says (not mine): God wants you to be wealthy in money, health and everything else!!!!! :>

Take care to all of you and may we keep caring for each other in 2007 and beyond. I could not live with this illness without you.

Love, Wannabe

Old 12-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
(female)

zonk HB User

merry christmas everyone.
I did the right but hard thing yesterday and admitted mum to respite care(for non aussies...its 2 weeks in a NH and then home again)
a rest for carers
as pre warned Mum was in tears not understanding why she had to be there
(it was either that to string along the stay at home thing or permanent placement)
I was told by martha to expect tears and tantrums and I was told to treat it like your childs first day at school
It was as you all predicted and have experienced...I enlisted the help of a nurse so that I could leave
i tried 3 times to walk out only to have her burst into tears
now I have my first xmas without mum as she is in respite care
(audition for the real thing)
so...I have had many sleepness nights over y/day
the next BIG thing is permanent placement
but now I can sleep at night knowing she is well cared for
its like having a baby all over again
have I rung them yet to see how she is ...NO! what good self control is that!
I hope you all have a beautful day with your loved ones at Christmas
I cant believe it is raining ..we have just been ravaged by bushfires
lets hope for less newcomers next year...as if.
Kind regards ,
Jo

Old 12-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Hey Jo ..

I remember placing my ex-charge for 'respite' which was the precursor for permanent placement.

It was WORSE than sending my kids to school on their first day. I had to enlist ACAT (the people who assessed her originally as 'ok to stay at home') to pick her up from day care and take her to the NH (which looked at acted like a expensive hotel .. absolutely stunning place) .. the report back was she was pleasant, liked her room (where I had already stashed her clothes, pictures, favourite bits and pieces) and was happily 'chatting' in her language to the other residents (who were somewhat horrified) .. ACAT were over the moon at how easily she settled.

Next morning I get a phone call from the NH .. could I come and pick her up please? She was not suitable for their place.

NOT SUITABLE?? What the ....? Apparently, come bed-time, ex-charge wasn't terribly happy about actually STAYING and all he11 broke loose (and I'm being polite & mild here LOL) .. from there she showed her incontinence, her violence .. she ended up being transferred that night into their secure area.

I put my foot down and said Nope, she had to stay .. they panicked and rang ACAT again, who spent the next day finding an alternative NH. The next day she was moved to a small secure facility still in the same town but on the other side of town. My husband and I were in the 'back room' out of sight, making sure she came in and to check her out from a distance, and see what happened. She was agitated, but instantly liked the place. We couldn't bear to watch her, and left (we being the big chickens).

Let me tell you, after her first week there (somewhat horrific), she turned into a doll. Calm, placid, happy to be there. When we finally got the courage to visit, she was great. She DID want to come home with us, but as we were ushered out the door, she happily waved to us in the window.

Patience is needed during the settling time, so do expect some behaviours, and DO ring, for your peace of mind as well but only once a week if you can. I remember it broke my heart to NOT ring ... but after a few days, I got the hang of relaxing.

Bravo .. and Merry Christmas!! Mum will be spoilt rotten btw ...

Cheers
Sally

Old 12-25-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
(female)

zonk HB User

my mum certainly will be spoiled rotten, she will receive much better care than my brother or I could give her on her own...your MIL never came out after that did she?
fortunately my mum is still much less of a challenge than your MIL and becuase of her excessive anxiety and crying etc was recently prescribed a tranquiliser which has no doubt helped her settle in
I still havent rung the NH cause I figure if there were problems they would have rung me!
naive perhaps, but I figure as long as she is ,as often said on this forum, safe,warm ,fed and clean then I need not worry...I would expect the NH at least to maintain that amount of care, they are a NH after all

Closed Thread