It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Slipping slowly away

My Mom is still alive, but back to the apathetic stage she was in before her recent hospitalization. She doesn't eat much, doesn't talk much, doesn't notice much.

I comfort myself by thinking of her as she was before.

My Mom was so loving and caring. One time a girl who lived across the hallway from her was sitting on the cold stoop in front of the building when Mom came home. "Why are you outside, it's so cold?" The girl (around 14 at the time) said, "I'm waiting for my Mother to come home from work, I don't like to go into the apartment when only my Uncle is there."

Mom took her upstairs and let her stay with her (with lots of cocoa and cookies) until her Mother returned. Then she told her neighbor what the girl had said, and asked outright if the woman's brother was not treating the girl right.

The two left, and the Uncle disappeared from the house that very night and was never seen hanging around again.

That's how Mom was - a caring neighbor, a concerned citizen, who did not turn a blind eye to someone else's troubles.

I try to live up to her example.

Happy New Year to you all.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Slipping slowly away

I know the memories are of some comfort and I am glad you have such loving memories of your mom. It sounds like she was a lovely person and has a kind heart and soul. Along with the memories, the true heart and soul of your mom will never be taken away. The Imposter will never have her true heart and soul. It tries to take it but it will never really win that battle.

Love, Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

teapot HB User
Re: Slipping slowly away

My Dad slipped away too - he was doing pretty good until he had a heart attack in last October after that he was just hanging in there - but it's like he realized he wasn't enjoying this anymore and drifted away. He'd eat just a little and he just wasn't concerned or interested in anything. It was just too much effort. He started going downhill in October and died in January - I think he wanted to make it to a new year.

One strange thing - he had a few really good days about a week before he died, like that one last blast of sun in a sunset. I visited him a few weeks earlier and missed this.

He died in his sleep - during afternoon nap. At 85 that would be the way to go. In a way he left under his own terms - not hooked up to anything and not in pain.

Closed Thread