It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
(female)

debbyftm HB User
new and need advice please

My father in law suffers from Lewy Body dementia, which also include parkinson didease symptoms.
My father in laws health has been gradually going down hill.he was diagnosed 5-6 yrs ago.
My in laws moved 300 miles to live near us in Nov 06 , so we could help with caring for father in law. But in the last 3 weeks his dysphagia has got worse...to the point now that he is not eating very much at all..and liquids are only minimal. My mother in law cares for her husband 24-7 and she is trying her best to stop him from getting dehydrated. She has excellent support from gp, nurse and social worker also. They wanted him in hospital but she didnt want him to go..so he was given antibiotics and instructions on fluid output and input.
Anyway, the last 2-3 days has seen a big change in his health..he now has a chest infection from aspiration of food and drink, which we have now been told will only continue to get worse.
But the last 2-3 days, i just have this feeling that he is now dying . He isnt as repsonsive as he was..he is just more or less letting most food and water run from his mouth. His nose is cyanosed and his finger nails too.
Am i jumping the gun abit..or is the end stage of his disease?
I just want to prepare myself so i can be strong for his family!
Thankyou
Deb

Old 01-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Re: new and need advice please

To me it sounds like the final stages, but that is only a guess.

Have you tried thickened fluids? You can buy polymer products at the pharmacy which can thicken fluids and can be tolerated by the difficulty in swallowing. You can even thicken it to an almost gelatine consistancy and spoon it in.

Of course, if he's not swallowing then it will dribble out or he could choke on it too.

This part of the disease is the most evil. Painfully slipping away, gradually going .... my heart goes out to you at this time.

Has the doctor stopped all medications? Has Palliative measures been put into place? Do you have hospice assistance where you are? If these are truly his last days, he should be made as comfortable as possible with palliative morphine as required (if he appears in pain or uncomfortable). It doesn't have to be as horrific as it could be .. call for help. Do it now.

Hugs ..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread