It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
(male)

rommelvon HB User
Changes in moms beahviour

Hi all, just wondering what you guys think bout this.....my mom is 77 years old, 4 days ago she got bronchitis really bad, she's not getting much sleep, and eating very little, well the past couple ofdays my brother and I have noticed she will talk about something out of the blue, and tell stories that we have no idea about....she still acts ok, even though she's sick, could this be dementia, or alzheimers starting?...or could it be from lack of sleep? my aunt (her sister) has alzheimers and has for 10 years.....she is in the finalstage.....thanks all

Old 01-09-2007, 02:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Changes in moms beahviour

More likely it's a result of lack of sleep, the medications she is on for bronchitis, and being sick .. maybe fever.

Wait until she is over this infection and see if her normal behavior returns. I think it will. Alzheimers usually creeps up slowly but you have some idea that things are 'not right ' long before the symptoms you mention appear.

good luck!

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
(female)

smileyinfessert HB User

Hi there...older people sometimes get confusion as the first (and sometimes the only) symptom of an infection...or if, as you mentioned, she hasn't been eating or drinking well, she may be dehydrated, her electrolytes may be out of whack, which could impact her behaviour...it would probably be a good idea to check with her doctor again...maybe some bloodwork...As the previous post suggests, I would probably leave Alzheimers out of it until you can be sure the symptoms aren't a result of this bout of illness...Best of wishes,

Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I agree with the other posters. I'm 44 years old and I have COPD (chronic obstructive pulminary disease/bronchitis) and I can tell you that I get WAY out of sorts with the lack of sleep I get when I have a flareup which I have right now. The combination of lack of sleep, food/fluids and the horrendous coughing are enough to put a strain on anyone's mental alertness-especially an elderly person.

Check with her doctor anyway. Maybe he/she can prescribe something to help your mom sleep until she gets over this. Let the doctor know about the changes going on in her lately.

Barb

PS I just read your other thread where you elaborated a little more. What you've discribed in the other thread sounds like she's probably got an infection going on. A urinary tract infection often mimics alzheimer's/dementia. I have read of cases where the patient experiences no known pain or burning sensation and the only indication of something being wrong was confusion and or halucinations. Call her doctor ASAP.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by LuvMyLilDoggie; 01-09-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #5
(female)

aquatilly HB User

Have her checked for a UTI (urinary tract infection). A UTI can sometimes cause confusion and uncharacteristic behaviour.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
(female)

judysven HB User
Lightbulb Re: Changes in moms beahviour

AFTER RULING OUT POSSIBLE INFECTIONS

A Neurophychological Eval is not a bad option/choice considering her age and increased level of confusion.

There are many diseases that mimic AD and can be irreversible, whereas AD is not! and as a previous poster stated dehydration/malnutrition can increase confusion, disorientate, and cause irregular behaviors.

I pray that it is the something more simple than AD, but either way best of luck to you.

The heart remembers even when the mind cannot"
as stated by an individual with AD

Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Blood tests are a good idea too because there are so many diseases that cause symptoms like this. As an example, I have hypothyroidism and confusion and behavior changes were two of my most severe symptoms.

As you can see, there are many possible causes for this. That's why it's so important to get her to a doctor.

Barb

Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Depending on how often you see your mom could also give some insight. I agree with all the postings for additonal medical and neuro psych work up. My Nana's greatest fear was to become like her grandmother who would have been dxed with alzheimers if they knew what to call it in the late 1800's/early 1900's. We lived about 1.5 hours away and she managed to hide so much of her early signs so we were not as aware as we would have been if we saw her daily. I have also heard and read of many older persons developing dementia after a major infection but am not sure of the connection. Good luck with your mom!
MimGregg

Closed Thread