It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

Choquis HB User
Smile Able to post again!

For some unknown reason I haven't been able to log in or post. About once a week I try to figure out what's wrong and it appears I finally have figured it out! Just wanted to let everyone know I have been faithfully reading the posts altho I couldn't reply.....(the last time I was able to log on was 11-15!)

My FIL is probably in stage 6 now, altho family still is telling everyone "he's in the beginning stages of AD". He has been wandering at night now....going from his bedroom (they have been in separate bedrooms for at least 5 years due to his snoring) to hers, to the lazy boy, to the floor in the family room. He repeats this cycle two or three times. He even went outside at 3 am to get the paper....fell down... got back into the house by the grace of God....started yelling and M finally heard him and convinced him to go back to bed.

I check on them weekdays after my walk, get their mail and groceries. I let the siblings check on them weekends, altho usually DH and I drop in after church for a short visit. DH has learned not to argue with Dad and just go along with what ever he says. FIL has always been an antagonizer, and of course this has gotten worse with the dementia. It's probably easier for DH not to argue with his dad as he doesn't make sense anymore.

I'll close now, but wanted all to know you've remained in my thoughts and prayers. This dread disease is such a struggle for us all. If I don't post for awhile it's because I can't log on.

Choquis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Able to post again!

Hi there! I've been wondering about you....

Look in the Registration problems board and you'll see I'm having problems logging in too. Have to go a far out roundabout way to log in.

Anyway, your FIL is wandering now. Not good. It's just a matter of when he's going to wander out too far. I'll let you in on something my aunt and uncle did when my grandmother was living with them.

She had AD and started to open the door and go outside at night. So my aunt bought bought these big bells that were on a leather strap (like a Christmas type thing). She bought one for the back door and one for the front. Whenever my grandmother figured out how to unlock the door and open it, the bells would make noise and wake my uncle who would then get grandma back in the house. This didn't last too long though because she began to get violent with them and wound up in a nh anyway. But for your MIL's as well as the rest of the family's peace of mind, this might be an option, at least for now.

A deadbolt lock that uses a key on both sides is also a good idea.

Better safe than sorry.

Not to scare you or anything but it is very likely that he will soon wander off farther than the front yard. My grandmother did once (more than once but we really lost her this time) and she was lucky to have been found by a very kind stranger who took her to the hospital. She had fallen and was in the middle of the street wandering. We didn't know where she was for 12 hours. My uncle's neighbor saw a picture of my grandmother on the news and recognized her. It scared us all to death thinking what might have happened.

Love, Barb

Old 01-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Able to post again!

Welcome back Choquis! Glad to hear from you.

Wandering is often the deciding factor in NH placement ... they know how to handle the problem. My brother's MIl was brought home by the police after being found walking along a busy highway in New York in her nightgown in the middle of the night. She was 'going to see her son in Florida'. She was able to gvie her daughter's address and they brought her home.

IF she had been killed or caused a terrible accident where others were hurt or killed, it could have been considered 'neglect' on the part of my brother and SIL because they didn't keep her out of danger.

Hope you can keep coming back!

Love,

Martha

Closed Thread