It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

jsvn HB User
Hydration

My husband had to be hydrated last month. He is in the late/last stage of dementia. He was very dehydrated and very low in pottasium because he had pretty much stopped eating. It took about four days. He is doing a little better now. He is bedridden but he is eating a litle better now - at least lunch. I wanted to ask if anyone has had a loved one hydrated more than once. The hospice doctor said we could, but he said "do you want to put him thru that again?" I would at least want to try once more with hydration if he got bad again. Has anybody done this-hydrating more than once? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User
Re: Hydration

I noticed there are no answers to your question and, no, I haven't had anyone hydrated. I guess my question would be: Is hydration a painful thing? I am assuming your doctor is telling you it is time to let go of your husband since hydration seems to be only a stopgap measure. You have my sympathy.

Jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Hydration

My daughter had to be rehydrated several times in the course of her two pregnancies when nausea was causing her to lose all liquids. It was no big deal - some kind of sterile water is put into your bloodstream though an infusion. You just lie down and relax while it drips in. Unless they have trouble finding a vein, or he fights it off and pulls out the needle, I can't see it as 'putting him through' anything.

martha

Closed Thread