It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

cyt HB User
Has this happened to you?

With my FIL - he just can't grasp the understanding of "seasons" and the weather. For instance, he is always saying every winter "I just don't understand this, I just don't get this - look, it's sunny outside yet it's 32 degrees. It ought to be 80! I've never seen anything like this before." He said all this just yesterday! I don't even try to explain it to him anymore - after all, he'd just forget it. I just listen and say "wow, this is crazy weather" ! Now, if I had to live with him, I'd probably pull my hair out! Take care all, and good luck getting through this "crazy" winter! C

Old 01-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
(male)

UJG HB User
Re: Has this happened to you?

My dad says the same stuff. It will be 20 degrees outside, but sunny, and the sun completely throws him off: "Look at that sun! Spring is in the air," he'll exclaim - except it's January in WI.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

I found I had to limit my ex-charges access to clothes, because in the middle of winter here she would put on a thin cotton frock, be shivering but pointing to the blue sky outside with a look of total confusion on her face.

You could try limiting this choice of clothes to help aid dressing appropriately for the season ..

and oh heck .. just go along with him like you have been ...

Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sandyspen HB UserSandyspen HB User

Yep, my mom too...

We live in the sunny desert. Yet, everytime I visit mom, she says: "I really need to buy some new clothes, it will be winter soon." She's been saying this for 2 years.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

My mother was taken outside in her wheelchair to feed the birds starting last winter. My brother told her "they don't have anything else to eat yet, because it's winter." When I visited her in June and again in October, every time we went outside to feed the birds, she said "they don't have anything to eat yet, because it's winter."

"That's right, so let's go and throw them some bread crumbs."

The only answer is an agreeing answer. Argument is useless. Too bad I didn't learn that until a week or two before I moved away .....

OR, maybe it is just to hard to go against your natural inclination to explain, clear up, get straight, 24 hours a day!

Some of these things are funny when you're not right on top of them!

Martha

Old 01-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User

I haven't posted for awhile, and just happened to find a few minutes to look at the Board. This posting just jumped out at me since I took my husband to the doctor today for a checkup. When asked what season it was, he said "January." She then prodded a bit as to whether or not it was Summer, Spring, and he said "late January." Then she asked what the white stuff outside was (snowing!), and he was silent. She asked him if it was rain, and he said no. He looked panicked. Then she asked if it was snow, and he started giggling like this was a funny game.

I read somewhere that it is a good idea to put clothes for the wrong season away. I've been picking out clothes for him for a few months now, and I definitely can see him losing track of weather.

Needless to say, I do NOT anticipate good news when we go for his 4th AD annual appointment next month. The drop off is escalating.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #7
(female)

zonk HB User

ahh yes , I took my mum out shopping a couple of weeks ago ....it was windy but it was about 38 degrees (i think that is near 100 farenheight) sp?
her (registering the wind) Oh! its cold out here!
me "no mum its HOT ...just windy
even in our recent heatwaves (coupled with bushfires) she would become agitated if she did not have on shoes,socks,pants a shirt and jumper...
ME....you WILL be too hot
Her no ...I want my jumper! (a lucid moment)
minimum overnight was about 28 dgrees celcius (not sure farenheight)
but she was highly agitated if deprived of her long sleeve nighty and a doona
i was in bed naked with the air conditioner going and a bottle of water beside my bed...and I actually like the heat...go figure!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

My Mom too. She has been freezing for the last 10 years. When I lived with her it was almost unbearable in the winter, she kept the heat up so high. Yet, during the worst of her 'ambulant stage' (before she was confined to a wheelchair) she would go out in a thin spring jacket in the depths of winter, or only a nightie, without feeling cold, and give me an argument if I protested. "I feel warm, so I don't need a coat." Of course you feel warm in the 82 degree apartment!!

By the way, 98.6 is body temp in Farenheit, that = 37 in Celsius. 28C is roughly 82F.

People seem to lose the inner thermostat as well as the common sense of seasons and weather ...

Oh well, that's not the worst of AD!

Love,

Martha

Old 01-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Hmmm .. 28 C is pleasant around my neck of the woods .... I can wear sleeves on shirts at that temperature ! LOL

Oh and yes, our elderly do lose their inner temperature clock and they feel safer when covered.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
(female)

cyt HB User

This reminds me (I'm the one who started this post, by the way) that I went to see my FIL the other day. It was a cold day, but when I walked into his apt. it was like a sauna in there! I couldn't breath! I asked him what he was doing with the heat turned up so high and he said he couldn't tell it was that hot in there! It's weird, this disease. Guess we could all write a book!

Closed Thread