It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
(male)

onebrother HB User
We seek advice

My Mother is in a care facility, but she gets restless at night and incurs a risk of falling while trying to get out of bed. She cannot walk unassisted. We don't know how to keep her safe from falls without breaking the bank. Any advice would be appreciated. Read further for more details or ask me.

My two sisters and I have helped our Mother thru about 8 years of Alzheimer's disease. Today, I think mother is in the latter stage (7) of the disease. During 2005 and 2006 my oldest sister stayed with mother in mother's rural home helping her full time. This year the job became too difficult for my sister, so we placed mother in an assisted care facility with a floor devoted to Alzheimer's patients. The facility is near my youngest sister in a small city setting. We brought Mother to the facility on Jan 3. She seemed to adapt OK. Mother fell on Jan 6 and went to the hospital for a check. She did not break anything - she is back in the care facility. Mother gets restless at night and tries to get out of bed. As a result she sometimes falls. She has a hospital-type bed, which is pretty low off the floor, but the care facility is not allowed to maximize the side restraints because it is considered a restraint, which is not allowed. Nurses check in on mother every 2 hours during the night, but that does not seem to be enough. We are faced at this time with hiring a night sitter (about $17 per hour) to sit from 8pm-8am or to look for a facility with increased surveillance - which we are not sure even exists.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: We seek advice

It's very good news that your Mom didn't break any bones when she fell! That should give you peace of mind. Maybe her doctor would prescribe a mild sleeping pill to help her stay in bed through the night? Meanwhile, rest assured that the facility will help her if she does fall, and since she isn't far off the floor, she will be OK. There are also padded garments you can buy which specifically protect the hip bone (neck of the femur) the one most likely to break. Maybe she could wear that at night?

Good luck.

Martha

Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Regarding the bed rails:

Over here in Australia, you can, if you have the Power of Attorney, request bedrails up as a SAFETY MEASURE.

Don't breath the word restraint ... the 'do-gooders' don't have a loved one in care who could (and will) hurt themselves ....

so change tactics and go SAFETY MEASURE instead.

Another option to ask for is ONE bedrail up (on the side she usually uses) because it's NOT a restraint because she can still get out on one side

worth trying.

cheers

Old 01-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Martha, have you seen those hip protector clothes?

Like concrete they are, and to be properly functioning, they need to be skin tight (I know a lady who's well meaning family bought her 2 pairs of pants, but they are loose on her and end up on her backside LOL)

I don't think they would be too comfy to sleep in unfortunately .. but a mattress next to the bed isn't a bad idea ... tricky for the nursing staff, but ultimately better for the resident !!

**thinking caps on everybody**

Old 01-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
(female)

Raffeer HB User

My husband also took a fall from bed. The ALS
moved his bed against the wall i.e. one side
taken care of and, at my written request,
placed a single bed rail on the other side.
They also place a small battery operated
motion detector on the floor by beds to alert
the staff if someone is getting up at night.
We are in Florida. The regulations may be
different here.
Hope you find a solution.
Beatrice

Closed Thread