It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
(female)

Jess22 HB User
mom's returned home

Hi Everyone, update on mom, today she returned home. She does qualify for a medical waiver program which can pay for her meds for me in the meantime the NH informed me today in front of the nursing staff and several others that mom owes a whopping 15,681.00 since her money ran out in november and they just wanted to reinterate that I'am responsible for that bill if her medicaid does not completely back pay! ( Rather embarrassing). It made one nurse so mad that she took me aside in the back and said that some of the staff had been discussing mom's situation in the cafeteria and that did I know about the privacy laws? She also said no matter what I had been told mom's behavior is no worse than some of the other patients etc. I was offended but I kept my cool because she told me all of this in front of my son who already has not trusted the NH's decision that she could no longer be cared for there. We are positive according to her medicaid worker that she will have medicaid but is it true that IM responsible for her finances and debts? I have followed everything by the book gave all the info, informed the Nh before she ran out of money she would have to go to medicaid, never payed late for ten months or her private room pay after november. They also said that medicaid can come back and claim the homestead that we payed all her private from the equity 47,000.00 is this true ??? because that would mean mom gave double for her stay there? and I will lose the nine thousand dollars we put in the home to make it liveable. Anyway Im glad for now that she is home, she is sleeping soundly now for three hours in her ole room in her ole bed and it gives me peace although tommorow could be hell!!!! I will try to write more and stay in touch. Martha , I agree with you tenfold, Many times I have thought I wished we had a ( DR. K ) too turn to because I know the suffering mother has endured it's all over her countenance...... My husband cried tonight when he saw how much she has declined just in the last few weeks. I think my mom is nearer to the end than we realized, this little woman they said fought and kept causing so much trouble literally needs a walker pronto!!!!! She almost fell three times tonight before bedtime...... By the way the little woman down the corridor from mom who got the feeding tube tonight when we passed her room she was laying with her mouth wide open crying out load and her legs were pulled all the way up to her chest she looked stiff as a board and it was just pitiful... Just three weeks ago she was pulling herself around in her wheelchair, man she went down very fast...... so sad........... jess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: mom's returned home

Jess dear, get a lawyer and find out yours and your mom's rights. These people are still trying to scare you into paying the bill. Just as I had suspected since you first posted about this, all the NH administrator is concerned about is the money. Bottom line.

He did more than embarrass you. He violated the very strict HIPPA laws and he could have a huge fine placed on him for that. Never should he have discussed your mom's financial buisness with you in front of his staff!!!

Speak with a lawyer before this money hungry you-know-what tries anything.

Love, Barb

Old 02-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User

Get a Lawyer.

Run .. don't walk ... to a reputable lawyer and tell him every nitty gritty little detail.

These people need to be hung. How DARE they? They have publicly humiliated you .. discriminated again your Mother due to money (can't pay ENOUGH, so therefore must go) AND breached their Duty of Care ....

Mongrels ... money hungry grubbers who are not in the least caring about Aged Care but depending on profiteering on those who are exhausted and desperate for help.

Get a Lawyer.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
(female)

lollylegs HB User

Hi Jess,

i just wanted to day i am thinking if you at the moment and the difficult time you are having.

this adminstrater had behaved disgustingly. get in touch with whatever health board they belong to (eg nurses registration board or the ethics committe of whatever organisation looks after the rights of aged in you r stare) and make a complaint.

as the others have said make haste to al aywer for soem good advice

these people are scumbags!!

take care

lolly

Old 02-01-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Dear Jess, go to an Elderlawyer. Get an appointment as soon as possible. NO you are NOT responsible for your Mom's bills, SHE is. We had to use up all of Mom's money before she got on Medicaid, but none of OUR money (unless you think of the inheritance we do not get now) .. Mom ran out of money at the end of last March and Medicaid did not kick in until June or July but they paid the back bills.

In fact the NH may wind up paying YOU .. you could sue them for their lack of care, lack of privacy etc. GOOD LUCK. I would love to see them get more than a slap on the wrist for their miserable establishment. Luckily I have experience with a GOOD NH so I know it is poossible --- otherwise everyone out there with an elderly AD relative would have to keep them at home.

I am praying for you and your Mom. So sorry for what you are going through, what a nightmare. Do see a lawyer, soon!!!

Love,
Martha

Closed Thread