It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

Jess22 HB User
moms condition

Just have a quick few minutes, since mom's return home she has been eating very well and sleeping through the night every night. She also naps during the day. I dont think by the conversation she has that she is sure who we all are and where she is but she seems very content. Today she wanted to stay in her pj's all day and just liked to sit in her big chair and rest. She did let me bathe her and wash her hair etc. The doctor has taken her off some of the meds and she hasnt changed in her condition. However, I have a question for anyone who has expeiranced this. Mom after napping wakes up and seems very groggy, she also then talks very slurred alot of time during the day. Her walking is more like a shuffling now and she seems much more unstable. Im going to purchase a walker tommorow. My husband said it's like she is having strokes or something? She does occasionally complain with a pain in her head same place she always said it was before ever being diagnosed did anyone else have this in their loved one?
She has been doing this for quite some time now even in the NH with all the meds. She has had a MRI and a cat scan but not a pet scan. I keep waiting for this terrible monster to jump out that they all said she was at the home, but I havent seen it yet not that I wont. However we are all finding it hard to believe this unstable lady was literally as horrible as they let on fighting and hitting and running to the doors all the time.
Gotta go, jess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: moms condition

It sounds very much like mini strokes.

I'm happy for you that she is 'behaving' well - and I hope it continues. You may have a good case against the NH if they threw her out for no reason other than money. I wonder if any of the aides who confided in you that she was not worse behaved than all the other patients would say that 'on record' in front of a lawyer or a judge?

Perhaps even the suggestion that the NH did the wrong thing (legally speaking) might result in some positive changes in that place - maybe you should consider a legal case.

Not that you have time or energy to do anything but care for your Mom right now. Are you still trying to find a better placement for her?

Those small strokes that often cause behavior changes don't always show up on hospital tests, they are so small they may only be causing a very small amount of bleeding in the brain, just enough to cause the shuffling, the slurring, etc. I find that hospital tests hardly ever show anything helpful in dementia cases - mostly they are not even looking for anything but tumors, aneurisms etc. They seem to be intersted in telling you what it is NOT, 'ruling out' as they call it - and once everythng else is ruled out, it's Alzheimers.

Good luck. Keep on getting enough sleep! Don't worry. (Yeah, right!)

Love,
Martha

Closed Thread