Last night at 10:50 PM I was reading in the living room. My DH was sleeping but got up and went into the kitchen. Next thing I knew, he was coughing, and yelling, saying "I am in trouble; come help me" (thak God he was articulate enough to say that!). I raced out to the kitchen, to discover that he had poured himself a cupful of the (yellow colored) ammonia which was sitting on the kitchen counter, and had taken a big gulp of it! I hurried him out to the car, and raced to the hospital (well, sort of; we are in upstate NY so it started snowing and blowing a few miles from the house). The ER room informed me that ammonia is not caustic, he was going to be fine, and sent him home. Who knew? And who knew that ammonia would look like juice to my DH? I of course would never leave ammonia out in the open where a three year old could get his hands on it; but it never occured to me that my DH would get into it!!!!!! We got home at 3 AM. sigh...
Gosh how scary! This again makes me feel so happy that Mom is in a safe place, a good nursing home. Not that accidents can't also happen there, but somehow I guess ALL the AD residents are treated pretty much like 3 year olds ....
I'm glad it was not serious. I would not have known that either. You could have had an accident out in the 100 inches of snow, trying to get to the ER. Perhaps a call to 911 is better - they can tell you whether or not he needs help, and they have the vehicles to get to you quicker, with EMTs on board.
My brother and SIL have a cabin on Lake Otsego where there is also a LOT of snow right now, but not as much as in Oswego County. Where I live we get Lake Effect snow from Lake Michigan, you get it from Lake Ontario. Spring is coming! only a few weeks .. hold on!
Thank you for posting this warning! I would never have thought something like that could happen either. After I read your post I realized that it's definitely something I could now see my DH doing too. Glad it turned out ok, but you must have been terrified.
My mum had a bad case of shingles, and didnt tell my brother whom she lived with because it was across her breast (womans business)
she came to me for the weekend(this was months ago) and about 4.00 on sat started to complain of pain
I was HORRIFIED when I saw the rash...we rushed straight down to the doctors.
End result, I caught her trying to put liquid soap on her rash (in the toilet with basin for handwashing) and my brother caught her trying to put hair spray on it.
she also destroyed her deoderant trying to get some out.
all non essential toiletries were immediately thrown out. (better safe than sorry)
my brother had made the decision a few months prior to that to securely stash all cleaning products etc etc.(on professional advice)
AD sufferers DO eventually forget what certain products are used for, and lose their ability to read
may I suggest that you "child proof" your home to prevent any future incidents.
That is what the Aged care assessment team told us to do, thank goodness we did.
Just want to add my bit about what my dad does (alz./parkinsons). He puts his deodorant on not only his underarms, but all over his chest and stomach!!! :> I told my mom not to bother him about it. Does not hurt anything, just makes her buy more deodorant.
We are just glad that he can still do that much for himself. But, she lets him do too much for himself. But, that is a whole nother story. I will come and spill my guts to yall a nother time!
I will look around their house tomorrow when I go in to help them. Just to make sure there are not bad or poisonous items just hanging around, when and where they do not need to be.
Am I glad I jumped on the board today and read this thread!!!!
I too never thought about this. When my son was a toddler, I childproofed EVERYTHING. I even put plastic covers over the door handles. Btw, those plastic covers (the kind that spin when you turn them) are great for wanderers. My aunt used those for my grandma. She used to try to sneak out of the house. After my aunt put those covers on the door handles, grandma quit trying to open the door because "the handle was broken".
But never had I thought of securing cleaning products or anything toxic from my dad. I will call R (my sister who has dad) and tell her about this.
The latest thing I have had to hide is cereal bowls; he was getting up at night, pouring himself a full to overflowing bowl of milk (to DRINK!) and (he is VERY unsteady on his feet) taking it into the room w the white carpet to drink it there. Need I say more? When I asked him why he wasn't using a glass, he said he didn't know.