It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

terressa HB User
Chronic UTI's / antibiotics?

HI....
My MIL has AD and is in stage 6. She is in a nursing home. She is incontinent and has been having chronic uti's for the last 2 months or so...ever since she fell and broke her arms. The first one left her in the hospital for 5 days. 2 weeks later back to the hospital for 4 days. As soon as she finishes the antibiotics..about one day later she starts getting agitated/complains shes sick/a complete change in her overall. Within 24 hours shes so unresponsive they have to take her to the hospital. Now after the meds are finished we do another UA and have to restart another 10 day treatment.
Can she stay on antibiotics forever? Or will they eventually not work anymore?
Anyone with similar situations?

Old 02-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Re: Chronic UTI's / antibiotics?

Sounds like she's in renal failure to me.

She can stay on antibiotics for quite some time, but they won't do any good if the kidney's are shutting down slowly but surely.

Talk to her doctors and the staff ... ask specific questions and demand specific answers.

Goodluck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

My mother has had a couple of UTIs since she got Dementia. One reason was that while still living at home, she 'forgot' exactly what the procedure was when you go to the toilet. I found fecal matter on the bathroom rugs, and she was unable to explain what happened. No, we didn't have a dog.

I think she was unable to wipe herself and get herself clean. Then I am almost sure she did not wash her hands well. So she got one UTI after another and also chronic eye infections (dirty hands, rubbing her eyes ..etc.)

Since being in the NH and having diapers, and being cleaned by other people this has lessened, but she is still unable to keep her hands really clean, in spite of hand sanitizers, a sink at wheelchair level right in her room - she just forgets. She still has red irritated eyes, no amount of drops or salves seems to be able to clear it up.

The NH does a urinalysis weekly and at the first sign of infection an antibiotic is added to her meds. They keep her pretty healthy, considering her old old age (she'll be 99 this year, if she makes it to October), and condition, AD Stage 6, close to 7.

It may be your Moms kidneys, or a germ resistant to the drugs they are using, or her immune system is weak. Keep asking, keep reminding them - eventually a solution should be found. Good luck!

love,

Martha

Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
(female)

teapot HB User

The same thing happened to my Dad, Dr's and staff told me it was very common for ALZ patients, as there is a good chance they aren't totally emptying their bladder when they go. It can be a physical reason, or just loosing that instinct that tells them "all done." It's harder for antibiotics to get rid of the infection.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
(female)

terressa HB User

Thanks for the info...
They are thinking of keeping her on a low dose of antibiotics. Though I have a feeling that this is not the solution...
Will keep you updated.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

Jess22 HB User

My expeirance with mom was similar to Martha's , my mom just forgot to wipe herself and also did not wash or change her panties everyday. We also found the NH was not keeping her clean like she should be so this would cause reacurring UTI's. I do also think it's possible that they have so much medicine that it could play a part in it. Alot of patients I have heard of have this all to frequently. Make sure they are changing her regularly if she is wearing diapers and see if that helps. Since having mom home I've made sure she is kept clean and that has practically eliminated them.

Closed Thread