It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

Lyn M HB User
Stage 1 Straight to Stage 7 is this possible????

Hello All.............
My Mother showed no signs of Alheimer's other than momentary, very widely spaced, minor incidences of forgetfulness now and then. Nothing to cause us to suspect anything other than normal aging. It's always been her nature to be a little forgetful.

This past December she suffered three TIA's in about five days. The day she was admitted to the hospital she was perfectly herself all day. The next day she was a little agitated and a little confused and kept trying to get out of the bed. As it turned out the nurses let her get out of the bed, her legs gave way and she hit the floor. The result was a horrible injury to her arm and a lump on the back of her head the size of a juice orange. The bruise went from the base of her skull to her shoulder and around to the front of her shoulder. It was so bad it did not fade away for almost six weeks. They did MRI, CAT and other in dept x-rays and said there was no concussion.

After about 7 days in the hospital she was her normal self and was doing so good I got the doctor to release her on the 11th day at which time she was still perfectly lucid, no confusion or agitation.............she was her regular self. She continued to do perfectly well for about a month and then confusion started creeping up. It had escalated to the point that last Monday I had to have her admitted to a senior care mental rehab hosp......a lock down facility.
They evaluated her in my presence. She hasn't a clue to the date, time, her name, where she is. She reconizes her family though. She doen't know how to lift a spoon to feed herself although shes hungry. Can't bring a glass of water to her mouth. Forgets to chew or swallow. Shes hallucinating and cannot respond in context. She can speak clearly but her words don't always form a logical sentence. She sometimes paces, sometimes doesn't sleep for a couple of days and nights. She will try to stash her meds in her jaw rather than swallow them or will try to sneak around and throw them on the floor when she thinks no ones sees.

All of that to say this.........They've told me shes suffering from Alheizmers maybe escalated from the mini strokes. Since her symptoms were almost nonexistent previous to the strokes can Alheizmer's progress that quickly or am I justified in thinking maybe her problem is brain damage from the strokes rather than Alzheimer's or maybe some damage from the fall that previously did not show??

Many thanks to ALL............And much good luck to everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

AnnaKaren HB User
Re: Stage 1 Straight to Stage 7 is this possible????

I don't know if this is possible or not. I'd ask to discuss MRI results which would show where the mini strokes occurred in her brain. Certain areas of the brian control certain behaviors. I'm no expert; my dad had one mini stroke which effected the part of the brain controlling judgement, for example.

I just wonder if the blood supply was cut off in several different areas with these strokes to cause so many problems at once? Maybe that would explain the rapid decline?

The brain becomes damaged from the lack of blood flow during the stroke, which can cause vascular dementia. Maybe some other damage occurred from the fall?

I'm sorry I can't be of specific help; hopefully others on the board can. Keep us posted, please.
AnnaKaren

Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
(female)

Lyn M HB User

Many thanks for your input AnnaKaren.

Lyn M.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Have your mother checked for a subdural hematoma as those can form if a
slow leak develops after a knock in the head. My aunt had one that
caused headache, dizziness, confusion, odd behavior, and other symptoms
about 6 weeks after a fall. The bleeding in her brain was found on
x-ray or CT. She had surgery to drain it and relieve the pressure and
did well for years afterwards.

M

Last edited by Martha H; 02-14-2007 at 03:56 AM.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
(female)

Lyn M HB User

Many thanks, Martha.....I surely will look into that.

Closed Thread