It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

terressa HB User
Assisted living vs. Nursing home care??

Hi
My MIL has been in assisted living for one year. She is 76 and in stage 6. In December she fell and broke both arms. She was than sent to a rehab facility/nursing home to heal and do therapy. Now she is out of the slings and starting to use a walker (was completley mobile before fall) She can only use the walker with help from the therapist/otherwise she is in a wheelchair now. I think we should transfer her to the nursing home (which has an ALZ unit). I just cant see her being able to "care" for herself in assisted living. She is being evaluated next week by the assisted living home to see if they can take her back/but I have a feeling that they will say/do anything so they don't have a vacant room (and $4200 a month!)
She was also hospitalized 2 x in the last month for serious UTI's.
Anyone have any similar situations? What will the assisted living be looking for?
Thanks,T.

Last edited by terressa; 02-13-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Assisted living vs. Nursing home care??

In stage 6 AD she needs custodial care. That means 24 hours around the clock care. Assistance is not enough. She would not be able to take care of herself in her assisted iving apartment, even if she were 100% physically fit, which she isn't.

Try to find her a place in a good nursing home. I know it is horrendously expensive. My Mom had to use up her life's savings, and when that was gone they put her on Medicaid. It was worth it - no one would be able to care for her at home as well as she is being cared for at the NH.

Good luck with it.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

terressa HB User

She is in 24 hour ALZ lock down assisted living. She has her own apt. in the unit. Along with about 20 other ALZ pt's. There is about 2-3 aides at any given time....I dont think she would be able to get around completely on her own anymore/unless her therapy goes extrememly well. We will know more next week....

Old 02-20-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
(female)

terressa HB User

They evaluated her from the assisted living and they cant take her back. She is just too much of a risk/liability. She can "scoot" around in the wheelchair with her feet...though she doesnt watch where shes going. And she cannot walk unassisted/even with her walker. She also does not watch where she goes with her walker. So the other patients would be in jeopardy.
My SIL is checking on a small group home (about 15 AD residents); a nurse checks the residents about 20 hours a week. Otherwise its caregivers who would watch her.
Anyone have any experience in these type of homes? I think its delaying the inevitable step to a nursing home? Any ideas?

Closed Thread