It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

briesmom HB User
Think Dad had a seizure - now strange change in him

I got a call from the N.H. last Sunday morning at 3:00 a.m. They said Dad had fallen and was unconscious/unresponsive and they had called the ambulance to take him to the hospital. His doctor thinks he may have had a seizure but fortunately 2 CT scans were negative. His personality was radically different. Sunday very happy, laughing, almost euphoric. Then Monday completely opposite, very agitated, combative, and violent (which he has never been and was scary to witness). They ended up completely knocking him out from 1:30 p.m. Monday till 10:00 a.m. Tuesday. Tuesday he was better almost back to pre-fall norm. We stayed until Wednesday for PT to evaluate him as his walking was not real good. Anyway they discharged him back to the N.H. on Wednesday which he was happy about. His speech was better and walking okay. Although they did start him on Zyprexa for the agitation. At this time he seemed more his pre-fall norm, quiet but smiling and talking occasionally.

Now (Saturday), the strange thing is his memory and ability to speak is much better. He remembered me and my mom. Is talking much more. But his walking is really bad in fact they have put him in a wheelchair which of course he is not too terribly happy about although today he did tell me that he almost fell and it scared him. It's like we have swapped problems. It just seems so strange and although I am very happy that he is more alert and able to communicate, I'm just wondering about it.

On another note, we just saw his neurologist Wednesday a week ago and he told us that on the 3 stage scale Dad is most likely late stage 2 and we should only expect to have him with us another 2-3 years. And although I have noticed the decline in him, it is still so very hard to hear it.

Thanks for listening. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with seizures in AD patients.

Have a great weekend.

Jami

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Think Dad had a seizure - now strange change in him

Dear Jami,

the problems with walking make me think it was a stroke. I never heard of a seizure leading to physical impairment Anyhow, it is nice that he is a bit more responsive.

Those prognoses don't mean much. My Mom has been in the later stages of Dementia for a good 2 years already. The deteroration is very slow. I think each case is different.

On the other hand you don't want the person to live on and on in a state where they hardly know or understand anything ....

Take care.

Love,

Martha

Old 02-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

briesmom HB User
Re: Think Dad had a seizure - now strange change in him

Thank you for your response. It is nice to actually be able to talk to him again. My belief and opinion for what its worth is that most likely whatever happened whether he had a seizure or just fell caused the AD to advance in some way leading to the difficulty with his walking, maybe due to the change of environment and/or being unconscious for so long. . His neurologist was out of town at an AD conference when this happened, but I have since talked to him and he is going to review the CT scans and EEG, talk to the nursing home, and then get back with me. So hopefully he will have some more info for me. Things have happened pretty rapidly with Dad (or maybe it just seems that way to me). He is 64 now and was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago. We just take each day as it comes and try to really enjoy the good days and make it through the bad ones.

On a side note, his neurolgist has told us that he thinks the vaccine may be available in 2 to 3 years. He stated that in one trial with 5 people, in 3 the AD reversed, 1 stayed the same, and 1 died. He told me that they are conducting trials in the US now. So I keeping thinking there may be hope out there. Have you heard anything about this?

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Jami

Closed Thread