It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
(female)

lovemy2girls HB User
losing too much weight

why do people with alzheimer's lose weight. this little lady that I care for is losing weight drasticly. She eats and I mean eats but she is still losing weight. Her dr. put her on a high calorie diet but she is still losing weight. we don't understand. I saw on the web somewhere that they think that the brain forgets to tell the body to store nutrients and that is why but now I can't find the website. anyone with suggestions on what to google to find it again?

Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Re: losing too much weight

Try

"Alzheimers Weight Loss"

Interesting topics!!

Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

My Mom is steadily losing weight also. She just doesn't care at all about food any more. It seems like an annoyance to have to eat. It's pretty close to the end, and it doesn't matter really. Thank God she is not crying or sad at all, more apathetic. Not happy either.
Good luck

Martha

Old 02-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

lovemy2girls HB User

I wish this poor lady wouldn't cry like she does nothing we do seems to help.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
(female)

lovemy2girls HB User

she eats. it seem like that is all she wants to do but she is still losing weight and we can't figure it out. Right now she is fighting a bout of pressure sores we have been trying to get to heal for months now. all home health says is she is suffering from malnutrition. I just wish they new how much she really does eat. I read somewhere on the web that alzheimer's causes the body not to store the nutrients that it needs it forgets how to do that but I can't find it now.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I was told that Alzheimer patients forget everything, eventually their brains forget how to direct digestion so that nutrients can be gained from food. That means no matter how good the food intake is, the patient loses weight.

It's all part of this horrible disease.

Love,

Martha

Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
(female)

lovemy2girls HB User

thanks martha this eases my mind alot because the home health nurse just keep acting like we don't feed her and that infuriates me to the soul. I know that she is very well taken care of they are not there when she eats they just come around 1 time a week and acts like she knows everything

Closed Thread