It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

joannita HB User
Smile I continue "child' proofing my house.

What I have done so far;
1. I don't leave cleaning solutions on the kitchen counter, ever since my dh, who seems to have vascular dementia, got up late at night, poured some in a cup and took a big swig.
2. He is diabetic and kept getting up all night long and snacking (if that is what you can call eating half of a sugar free pie in one sitting), in spite of eating way too much repeatedly all day long. So I finally started covering stuff in the fridge that he likes to snack on with dish towels. Out of sight, out of mind; he doesn't even remember what was in that same fridge earlier in the day. It is working so well that I have been able to cut back on his insulin dosage. It has also totally eliminated his constant snacking during the day as well. Why didin't I think of that sooner????
3. I also hid the cereal bowls b/c he was raiding the fridge late at night, pouring milk into a bowl and drinking the milk out of the bowl using a spoon; the problem w that is that he was leaving the milk out and also was dribbling milk across the floor on his way to the table w the bowl. (Now that the milk is covered with a dish towel, I may be able to bring the bowls back out.)
4. Today it occured to me that I also need to put all the breakable glasses out of sight, because even though I stage ice water everywhere his sits around the house, he isn't conscious of that and totters around holding a glass of ice water. I had visions of him dropping a glass and stepping on a shard of glass; for a diabetic on a blood thinner, that would definately NOT be good.
Fortunately, he does not attempt to leave the house, and only wears a path between three rooms in the house. Oh yes; from now on if he wants pop, I need to pour it for him. The other day he tried to pour the ice and pop into the small hole in the top of the can. There was a small amount left in the can, and he was obviouisly confused as to how to get it into the glass.
There is a definate learning curve for me here...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: I continue "child' proofing my house.

Towels. What a clever idea. I never would have thought of that. Thank you so much for sharing that. Although I don't have my dad here with me anymore, I'm sure that idea will help my sister because my dad is doing the same thing at her house. I will call her tomorrow and suggest the towels.

Thanks again!

Love, Barb

Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

When my brother and SIL had her mother at their house, (she also had Alzheimer) they put inner locks on all the doors to prevent her 'wandering' . They had to do this after she was found on a highway in her nightgown trying to 'walk to Florida to see my son" as she told the police....

Martha

Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
(female)

zonk HB User

from experience with my mum, hide the sink plugs or you will have a kitchen or bathroom flood, disable your stove, especially if gas,no need to cause an explosion or burn the house down....declare the microwave to be "broken" unplug as needs be,etc etc
all necessary with a dementia sufferer
good luck!

Closed Thread