It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

Bouong HB User
Everything is a "Battle"

Hello All

Very relieved to be here.

My frustration level is going up & there are days when my patience level is not at it's best.
Where to begin!
This is kind of complicated. I work at a small facility that is unique to other facilities. We have only 48 Res that while they live on a locked unit that consists of 5 separte units we call "Houses" Res are free to go out anywhere in the facility. There are 12 Res to a House, 2 staff members to each House (we are called RA's because we do PCA work but also have to be able to pour & despense Meds) we have 1 RN to oversee the entire facility. Aside from the full time Res we also House a 6 Client Respite unit as well as a Day Program! I am a Float at this facility & while I am assigned to only assist in 3 of these Houses I some times work all 5.
I am a hard worker, help out where & when I can and because of my nature am the most kicked around person at that site! I get to help with all the heaviest of people, the 2 person transfers, the most difficult, most aggressive, resistive, abusive Res we have! Some days 2 hrs can feel like 2 days without leaving! Today was one of them!

I love my job, the pay backs that come when I can get a smile just because I took the time to hug someone makes this worthwhile but I get tired of getting beat up, verbally abused, threatened, scratched, biten, spit at, my body aching the list is endless! Today was one of them!
Today I was tired had to be to work for 07:00 (my body tells me it's 06:00 because of the time change) I'm working all day in the House with all the aggressive behavior problems, I'm working with a new Staff member & I'm on day 7 of full shifts! So when I had been accosted by the 3rd Res within a 45 min span at lunch time, I was fed up!
You know the days when your nerves are like tissue paper! I'll leave it at that.

Bouong

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Everything is a "Battle"

Dear B,

My mother is in a facility like that and I am immeasurably thankful for all the workers who dedicate their time to her care. I find all of them admirable beyond description, for I could not manage it at home with ONE patient, and they have the patience and caring to deal with many. Since you feel rewarded by a smile, I hope you will stick it out until your extraordinary talent is recognized by other staff, which should make up for some of the abuse you take from patients. Remember it is the disease that makes them spit, etc .. nothing you did, and all of them would be appalled if they were in their right minds and knew what they had done.

Perhaps there is some rule about lifting and moving heavy patients .. see if you can find guidelines that apply in Canada. There are also techniques that help move a heavier person. My Son In Law is a nurse and he has often had back strain after dealing with a heavy patient. Because he is a man, although not a huge, strong one, he often gets to do such heavy lifting. But his are post operative patients not AD and therefore not mean or aggressive.

Good luck to you, and thanks to all caregivers like you!

Love,

Martha

Old 03-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

onedaysoon HB User

Dear B,
I also work a locked dementia unit. We have 32 residents in the unit at all times.
I know exactly how you feel. It can be one of the most rewarding and exhausting jobs all at the same time. I am not sure how different your policies are in Alberta compared to Ontario. I know if something isn't working right at the facility I work at, we go to administration. We always go in with what isn't working & ideas or thoughts about what may work better for our unit. There are 3 other units of 32 residents at this facility but we are the only secure unit.
It is never the resident at fault, it is always the disease process. Things happen there that would never be tolerated outside those locked doors.
Try to keep in mind the positive things you enjoy about the job. Always take a moment to breathe and refocus when you are in the "thick of the moment" when things don't go well.
Hang in there.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

To the both of you.......thank you, thank you, thank you!

I surely agree with Martha that you are so much appreciated by families with loved ones you take care of. I am always impressed with the care and love demonstrated at the facility where my Mom has been for 9 years. No matter what time I visit, the caretakers have their hands full...and the clients are well taken care of.

It takes a very special person to do what you do...please know families appreciate you more than simple words can express......Pam

Closed Thread