It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

tiffany554 HB User
Question What do I say?

I'm new and desperately seeking some advice. I have been working at a nursing home for awhile now. I am the front desk clerk and I actually have become attached to a few patients in the short time I've been there. There is a lady who suffers from alzheimer's and she sits by my desk all day and steadily asks me the same questions over and over. I am not bothered by this, the lady is very sweet. BUT, this is a huge change for me, as I used to work at a cleaners, dealing with laundry. Nobody else seems to pay her any attention. She seems depressed to me. She constantly says she doesnt know what to do with herself. She thinks someone is coming to get her, but nobody ever shows. She cannot remember that she has a room, and she tells me she does not belong there. She tells me every day she had a baby, (shes 90 something) and it died.

My question is this : What on earth do I do?? I have been just nodding and saying "yea, I know what you mean." None of my employees will give me any advice. What can I do to help her feel better? Do I lie? Do I tell her someone will come get her?

Also, on a brighter side of things, I have met another elderly lady who asked me to be pushed (in her wheelchair) to the beauty salon. I told her it wasnt open on weekends. She looked at me and said "I love you---you're sweet"

Ohhh that was so wonderful and I dont ever want to leave these guys.

But it seems I have taken interest in these guys more than what I should, I am only supposed to answer phones,

ANY advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: What do I say?

You instinctively did the right thing. Just answer as if it is all true. 'Someone is coming to pick me up later.' 'Oh, that's nice.' 'I have to go and take care of my baby'. 'OK, see you later.' Alzheimer sufferers don't know they are making up stories, they really believe everything they say. So just smile and nod and say 'yes, that's right'. They already love you! You must be right for the job.

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 03-25-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Closed Thread