It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

briesmom HB User
Unhappy Dad passed away today.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you have answered my questions in the past. Being able to come here for support and answers has been a blessing.

Dad's final struggle began five weeks ago when he had 2 seizures one week apart. Two weeks ago he got aspiration pneumonia and after a week in the hospital I moved him to the same town as me under the care of Hospice. Then this past Monday I was called to the nursing home and his lungs had filled with fluid. After a very emotional week for us and a rough week for Dad, he passed away today. And as hard as this is, at least I know he is now at peace and free from the ravages of this horrific disease.

Jami

Old 03-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Dad passed away today.

Dear Jami.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad if we on this Board were any help to you at all. This is a terrible disease.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

onedaysoon HB User

I'm sorry for your loss. May positive thoughts & memories help you through this.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
(female)

fourt9rkim HB User

I'm so sorry for your loss, Jami. Your dad is now at peace.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
(female)

liz1104 HB User

dear jami,
i am new to this board and have only posted a few times, but i wanted to say how so very sorry i am for your loss, this disease is truly awful, but your father is now in a peaceful place.

liz

Old 03-27-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Jami.......I am so sorry. What we all pray for our loved ones is that peace will come.

The part of your post...."After a very emotional week for us and a rough week for Dad".......is what all of us realize. As difficult as this disease is for family and loved ones, the effects are also so hard on the afflicted individual.

Sending positive thoughts your way.....Pam

Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
(female)

cyt HB User

Dear Jami and family, God bless you and your family. Your Dad no longer has to struggle in a body ravaged by disease. I hope you and yours can find peace and enjoy your good memories of your Dad. Blessings, Cindy

Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
(female)

kakay48 HB User

I am new to this board but want you to know how very sorry I am for your loss and to tell you I know what you are going thru, I lost my dad a month ago. Yes knowing they are at peace and not sick any more is a help. Keep your dad in your heart and memories as I do. I know the days ahead will be very difficult.Is your mom still alive? If so be there for her. My mom is and not in good health and my siblings have left it all on me. Your famliy will be in my prayers and thoughts.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Love, Barb

Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Unhappy Re: Dad passed away today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briesmom View Post
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you have answered my questions in the past. Being able to come here for support and answers has been a blessing.

Dad's final struggle began five weeks ago when he had 2 seizures one week apart. Two weeks ago he got aspiration pneumonia and after a week in the hospital I moved him to the same town as me under the care of Hospice. Then this past Monday I was called to the nursing home and his lungs had filled with fluid. After a very emotional week for us and a rough week for Dad, he passed away today. And as hard as this is, at least I know he is now at peace and free from the ravages of this horrific disease.

Jami

Hi Jami...

I haven't been to this board for a while, but saw your post title on the main index page, and came on here to read it. I'm so sorry for your pain, and will pray for peace and comfort for you. My sweet dad passed away last May 15, [at 83], due to having strokes too, and he also had Alzeimer's, which we really didn't know until the last 3 months or so. (Although 6 months before while he was here for a visit with me, I noticed he was acting different...strange, but when I let my husband know, and my brother...well, you know...some men are just in denial [he's fine, just getting old] )

He did have a series of small strokes for about 6 weeks before he passed, [possibly longer, as I remember something weird that happened on that visit 6 months before]. He was actually doing okay, and still iving in his own home until the last 3 months, when we discovered he was taking off in the middle of the night, driving his car around, and had a couple of small wrecks... and we then put him in a group home...and then got the diagnoses.

Now that I read you post, it just made me wonder, are strokes common with Alzeimer's? ...if so, I/we didn't know that. There was so little that I knew about his disease, as it was only a short time that we were sure that he had it. I do know that he went very gently and peacefully, for which I am so grateful for that, and I thank the Lord for that so much.

Again, Jami, my heart goes out to you.... I am still going through a hard time. My husband has a hard time showing any compassion, (neg. effect of his upbringing, and very selfish), so I joined a grief class/support group at my clinic, [Kaiser], and it has been a true Godsend. There were 10 women in my class, [it was an 8 week class], and we went to dinner after each class too,....well here it is almost 8 months after the class ended and we still all get together for dinner every Monday night....giving each other hugs and support , still.

It's wonderful to have friends who are going through the same thing, and I don't know what I would have done w/o this group. I strongly recommend it for any one going through a great loss like this. The replies you received on this thread have brought me comfort too, reminding me that my sweet dad is in a better place...no more suffering, and reunited with my mother and brother. I hope he still can sense my strong love for him.... this has been so hard. My prayers are with you today, Jami.

Good luck and God bless you,
Deda

Closed Thread